Sunday, September 22, 2013

AIN'T

Some of us want to condemn folks for what they do when the only reason we haven't done the same thing is that we just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

And we think that lets us off the hook with God.  But God says, "Think again."  God holds us accountable for what we've imagined doing, not just for what we've acted out.  The wickedness we've rehearsed - fantasized about - a hundred times in our hearts but hasn't made it out to our feet and hands just yet has not gone unnoticed by the Creator.

The only remedy is a brand spanking new heart, cleaned out and handcrafted by God - from scratch.

Are we more sinless than a man like David (see yesterday's blog)?  That's like asking a woman if she's more pregnant than the woman sitting next to her.

You either is or you ain't, and all of us ain't.  It's only by God's grace and mercy that we is.

That's terrible grammar, but it's great theology.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol...I just checked the blog and, lo and behold, you posted! I always hope for another piece of wisdom and something thoughtful on your blog, so I like to check. It's one of my favorite things to read.

Anyway, you know how it is not a sin to be tempted? Well, if we dwell on and fantasize about something that would be a sin, BUT don't actually do it, is it still sin? Where is the line? How do we know when our thought life has gone too far?

For instance, if I have a terrible customer, inside my mind I may be reading him the riot act. But, of course, I don't do it. I LIKE my job! :) I may very well have the same urge every time it happens. So, how much thinking is TOO much? When does something turn from being tempted to being a flat out sin?

Anonymous said...

Oh well. Maybe I have a suitable answer to that question. A long time ago you said that sometimes we want to know where the line is that crosses over to sin. We want to get the tips of our toes ALL THE WAY up to the line. To push the limit as far as we can. (See...I really do listen when you speak. This was ages ago.) Maybe there is no arbitrary line. If we imagine it is sin, then most likely it is.

I was thinking on my drive home from church today. A thought just came to mind. Anytime I get a customer who is rude, etc., I will repeat Jesus' words in my mind. "Forgive them, God, for they know not what they do." My situation is like a grain of sand in an endless ocean compared to Jesus.

I always know when God is whispering to me. When I come across or think of something I have learned just when I need it. As I mull over things in my mind and really listen, He is there. I can count on it.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PK!!! I hope your day is fabulous! You are an inspirational leader and I am so glad you are our pastor! Here's to many more!