Sunday, February 24, 2013

FINALLY

Ask, ask, ask.  Seek, seek, seek.  Knock, knock, knock.  They kind of all mean the same thing.  You have to keep asking - keep seeking - keep knocking - just keep coming at God until he does what you ask of Him.

Let me show you a popular version of that concept, courtesy of Cole Sand and Honda:




And if that concept makes you squirm a little, it should - because if you grew up in church, you may not have heard enough requests like that.

Prayers were lazier.  'God help us - God bless us - God keep us safe - God help everything work out - God ... (yawn).'

But when you read the Bible, people came after God.  Abraham did - Jacob did - Moses - Isaiah - David - Paul - they came after God.  'God, You'd better not ignore me ... God, You promised ... God, You'd better listen ... God, You need to keep Your promise.'

'Finally.  Somebody asked huge.'

And people said:  'You can't talk to God that way.'  But do you ever read that God was offended by any of that?  No.  God honored their persistence and boldness because it's as if God said:  'Finally.  Somebody is asking Me to do something worth My effort and ability.  Finally.  Somebody asked huge.  Finally.  They were bold and they didn't give up and they didn't let the fact that I didn't immediately get up the first time they asked dissuade them.  Finally.  They decided they weren't going away until I answered.'

And Jesus says: "God isn't annoyed by any of that.  He is, in fact, honored by it - and very often He answers that kind of prayer.  Because everybody who asks, receives - and the one who seeks, finds - and to Him who knocks, the door is opened.  Maybe not on Tuesday when you ask on Monday, but ...

'I know You're in there ... I know You're in there ... I know You're in there ... '

And to them Jesus says:  'The door will be opened.  Now that I know you're really serious, I'll be serious.  Now that I see you have some passion about something greater than you, I'll listen.'

Ask.  Seek.  Knock.

And be blessed.

No comments: