Wednesday, January 19, 2011

PASTORS

In a couple of weeks, I have a message coming up on the subject of criticism. As always, I do a lot of self-examination before I speak on a topic. So I've been thinking about the way I handle criticism and how often I respond to negative things and how often I'm just plain negative myself. Pastors are not immune.

One of a pastor's biggest sinkholes is sometimes how we respond to each other as church leaders.

What if pastors determined to pray for each other rather than try to tear each other down - either publicly or behind the curtain? For the past several years, I have met every Wednesday morning with eight other area pastors for connection, accountability, friendship and prayer. It's been a great connecting point and tremendous relationships have been built. We hear what is happening in each other's churches - both victories and struggles - and we pray for each other. Right now we're meeting once a month instead, but it's still a great time with friends.

What if pastors realized God isn't limited to a particular formula of doing church? One of the reasons we pastors sometimes try to tear down other ministries is because we have this thing that rises nearly to the level of 'conviction' that the guy across town is doing it wrong. Not different, but wrong. In my earliest days - you know, 20 or 30 years ago - I probably had that in me. Now I realize there isn't so much a right and wrong way, if we're proclaiming Christ as Savior and Lord - if people are coming to faith - if they are taking their next step in the journey with Christ. I've come to the place where I just want other churches to be successful, period. We've had plenty of people leave our church for other churches - and all kinds end up at our place from somewhere else. I think more people leave churches out of offense, rather than because of God, but I'm leaving that with God. I've come to believe our competition isn't the church down the road - it's the soft cushy pillows and beds that people are sleeping in on the weekends.

What if pastors didn't allow other pastors to criticize ministries in front of them? What if we had the courage and boldness to say: 'Hey bro ... what you are doing right now the Bible actually calls slander ... so cut it out?!'

What if pastors spent more time trying to learn from those who are different from them rather than criticizing other ministries? Whenever I have mentioned certain mega-pastor-types in a message - Rick Warren - Bill Hybels - TD Jakes - Andy Stanley - I typically get an email or five warning me with concerns about their ministries or theology or teaching style. I once did the exact Joel Osteen opening complete with the 'Repeat after me with Bible in hand' mantra he uses before every message - and all hell broke loose. But I have incredible respect for these men, even if I don't line up with everything they say or stand for or believe. Do we only think we can learn from people whose beliefs are exactly like ours? Come on.

I have to be honest. I don't have time to tear down what somebody else is doing. The day I have time for that is the day my ministry becomes fruitless. We won't be held accountable for anybody's ministry but the one God has given us.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice...I like this. I think different appoaches work for different people, depending on where they are in their lives. I know I internalize certain messages...and even buy a dvd of them, when it hits a chord for me.

The only other remark I would make right now is this...I do not like yelling. TD Jakes has such God-inspired wisdom to share, but I can't listen to his style. You are quiet, but deep. I like that. Keep searching for God's direction...just don't go to another church!