Wednesday, December 29, 2010

TOP TEN 2010 (4)

September was the month for the 3rd and 4th most popular blog postings of 2010.

#4 - 'WAR' - originally posted on September 19th ...
I posted, after fighting with nature this particular day, about all the creatures I'm dealing with at and around my house -- bats, squirrels, chipmunks, mice, woodpeckers, etc ... Thanks to so many for the encouraging comments and the methods suggested for co-existence and harmony as well for extermination. Some of you are downright violent.

#3 - 'MIRROR' - originally posted on September 6th ...
On one of my more transparent days, I blogged that sometimes I'm not always sure about what I know. It's not from lack of study or conviction that I don't know; it's just that some people seem like they know everything all the time - they're so sure - and I'm just not one of them. My Bible tells me we 'see thru a mirror dimly' at the moment and that we have a God whose ways are far above and beyond ours. That leads me toward at least a little bit of humility about what I think I know or don't know. That, of course, prompted some interesting responses, including people who thought I needed to be more confident - and those who thought that was what the Holy Spirit was for and 'why wasn't I relying on Him for that.'

Feel free to view the past three days for Favorite Blog Postings #5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you clued me into the months way to access blogs. I re-read the MIRRORS blog. Matthew was so kind...if you ever read this, Matthew, Thanks!

I so often am not sure how correct I am on many topics, least of all, the Bible. That is why I love discussion and hearing what others thoughts are. It turns out often, that they reveal things to me that never occurred to me before.

Ok, PK....this is a big question, so don't worry if you can't answer it...seriously.

If the Bible was inspired by God, then how much influence do the people who actually wrote it have? Are they God-breathed words or a little of both? Since we are flawed, I can't help but think it is 3/4 God and 1/4 human interpretation.

Just a heavy-laden question. Don't feel that you have to answer...or, for that matter, it is something you can answer. It is just a question I have had for a long time.

PK's BLOG said...

It's a good question. Maybe I can explain it this way.

There is no logical reason why fallible men could not write infallibly. After all, even fallible humans can get things right some of the time, especially if they are supervised by Someone who is infallible.

Christians do not claim that the men who wrote the Bible books were always accurate in everything they said or did. We simply believe the Bible is right when it claims God guided these men in their task of writing Scripture in such a way that the result is an infallible book. The apostle Peter undoubtedly said some foolish things during his lifetime, but God did not allow him to clutter up the Bible with any of those blunders.

2 Timothy 3:16 contains the classic claim that the Bible was produced by God, not just men: "All Scripture is inspired by God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

God's oversight of the material that would become His Infallible Word was written by human hands inspired by God Himself with God using their own individual personalities in which they composed and recorded without error His revelation to man.

Anonymous said...

I don't know...maybe these are questions better left for some future date...if I should happen to get them answered.

I am a woman and I don't completely understand this:

Why is the Bible so violent if God is Love? There seriously are some truly horrible things there. I don't need to list them. You know the Bible, inside and out.

I'm sure I am in the minority, but I prefer the New Testament. I know, I ask silly questions, but I wonder if anyone else ever wonders these types of things.

I think that is why we get to look forward to Heaven...there will be none of that there.

PK's BLOG said...

It's another huge question, but the NEW TESTAMENT is not void of JUDGMENT and the OLD TESTAMENT is not void of GOD'S LOVE.

In a fallen world, isn't it possible that God may have to periodically authorize some less-than-ideal measures in order to deter further evil? Like a police officer who, in order to deal with disorder, has to use force. Whenever God tolerated or “ordered” violent action in the Old Testament, it was to restrain evil or to deter some greater atrocity.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it has been kind of quiet here lately...and those are really questions I have had for ages.

I can understand the police officer analogy. They are sworn to uphold the law. God has His laws and He is a just God. I fully understand that there are most definitely people who need that discipline from the Lord. I need love and encouragement and, then, I am soaring higher than I ever could all alone.

Some of the very best times I have with God are when I go for a walk in nature and pray...in the bright sunshine. I feel His presence so deeply in the sunshine, with the warmth on my face.

I love the times when I can feel His love for me. I'm kind of glad I asked the question, cause right now, I can feel Him with me... :)