Tuesday, October 19, 2010

JOHNNY

Some weeks (months - years) I feel like One-Track Johnny when it comes to blog topics. But that's only because it has been burned pretty deeply on my heart that we are called to be people who offer hope to those outside the faith, rather than become 'blessing catchers' in our little Christian circles.

I'll get off that point one of these days and just start talking about love or the weather or terrorists or something more interesting, but it's where my heart is right now, so you find me coming back to this subject over and again as I spend time with God and try to apply it personally.

I'm not sure how we got where we are, but it's amazing that we think our most powerful times, our most intimate experiences, are supposed to happen within the comfortable confines of our church services. The Biblical evidence is overwhelming and crystal clear that God's power is most naturally meant to happen 'out there.'

Of course, Jesus pulled His disciples away for times of 'just-us' and to debrief. That's great. I'm for that, too. I'm not saying private times with believers-and-believers-only are moments we should shun, but the majority of Christian activities in the early centuries were done in plain view and for the benefit of the onlookers. They met privately, not out of separation theology, but because they had to. If God's Church is to regain influence in the world, we'll have to get a whole lot more comfortable doing 'our stuff' out there again.

I've learned if I stay in my office studying all day long, nothing happens. But whenever I intentionally plant myself at the coffee shop down the street or some other local hangout, I run into people and conversations start up - and at the end of the day I know something Kingdom-oriented has happened.

Try it.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Heath said...

Heath Goodson here, Philip's son. Right on, my wife and I have actually committed a year of our life to www.forgeamerica.org to learn how to this better and more intentionally. Take a peek at my latest blog about community vs. comfort when you get a chance.

http://2rules150years.blogspot.com/2010/09/community-and-comfort.html

Anonymous said...

I am more reserved and I always wondered how people just meet someone in public and end up transitioning into spiritual matters. I never get much past the most basic pleasantries.

PK, do you end up telling them you are a pastor, to open the door to further conversation? If not, can you just give me a little example of how the conversation has gone with you? What might be an opening line to the topic of God and Jesus?

PK's BLOG said...

ANON:
I couldn't begin to tell you how the door opens. It happens so differently each time. Sometimes we jump right INTO it and other times it gets there by the most amazing rabbit trails.

The MAIN thing, you just pray before 'going in' that God would open doors of opportunity for you to share. If he DOES then you walk thru - be normal - and let Him do the work. If He doesn't open the door, then you just do whatever you were there for - getting your hair cut - working out - grocery shopping - whatever.

Either way, it ends up being God's problem.
Try it. Excited to hear what happens thru you.

AND NO -- i don't start by telling them I'm a pastor.
:)

Anonymous said...

Well, I feel confident that if you did tell them you are a pastor, that you are so warm and engaging that they would respond well. I think my unbelieving friends would love you. :)

I used to talk to my friends very often about Jesus, church and all that was happening in my life in those areas. It has tapered off and now we discuss work and everyday things. I think I would like to go back to that point. We have a basis already.

Just a blog thought....tell us how an encounter happened with you. I need to pull out my Just Walk Across the Room book by Bill Hybels. You recommended it to me a long time ago. I will do that today. I always read Christian books at breaks and lunch at work. Just so happens I work tonight, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Right on PK, I'm with ya! I love when I'm being used by "Him".... sometimes it happens.. sometimes its just me having to see something in someone that 'He' shows me about me:)