Friday, December 18, 2009

LAMPSTAND


The church exists, quite simply, to turn on a light. The last book of the Bible, Revelation, gives a powerful metaphor for the purpose of the church as the lampstand situated in the tabernacle.

In the book of Exodus, the lampstand was one of the few pieces of furniture God commanded to be put in the tabernacle. God gave specific instructions as to how the lampstand was to be built, the kind of oil it should burn, where it was to be placed and what it existed to illuminate. Except for God's presence in the inner sanctum of the tabernacle, the lampstand provided the only source of light within the tabernacle walls. One of the priests’ primary jobs was to make sure the light of the lampstand never burned out.

When you read John’s challenge to the churches in Revelation, you see that everything about these churches – their teaching, their practices, their work – pointed to the fact that they were losing their effectiveness as God’s light to their communities.

That’s not a hard application for us. Our job as believers is clear. We have to keep the light burning and the lampstand in its proper place. God’s intent is for the church to be strategically placed in culture in order to show Himself to the world.

We have been talking in our staff about the MISSION of our specific church. After a lot of prayer and discussion and debate and thought, something we felt God directing us toward was this statement: 'Making it easy to find and experience God.'

Whether we eventually settle on that or not, it would be a great goal to be able to say that at KFA it's EASY to find God ... it's EASY to experience Him. This should not be difficult. We need priests (that's you) who are willing to keep the lampstand where it belongs – shining on nothing else and no one else but Jesus --- so that it's easy for people to find Him ... easy to experience Him.

If the next generation is really going to see God, then where we place the lampstand is of critical importance. We must realize what is truly at stake if our children and teenagers walk from the faith without a concept of God that captures their imaginations. We need to show them by any and every means possible what the wonder and mystery and power of a God is who is too big for them to define, yet who has proven thru time and space that He loves them individually and intimately.

Where there is no lampstand, they will be disillusioned with a flawed church and underwhelmed by shallow faith. This is just one of the reasons an upcoming generation is searching for something bigger than what they have perceived the church has to offer.

But as long as the church remains true to her mission, she will be naturally irresistible. Light is inherently inviting. It communicates warmth, comfort, care and healing. It gives direction and hope. Most people I meet are looking for hope.

When the lampstand gets moved, our influence is weakened. We make it harder for people to see what God is really like – and we want Him to be easily seen.

So this is the Scripture sentence I have taped on my desk - spoken by James - just to remind me: "It is my judgment ... that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God." (Acts 15:19)

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've realised something about myself lately in relation to God. I used to see God as Creator and this huge presence...which He is, but I know I need to relate to Him deeply, so I am so grateful that Jesus came to us as a man. I have pictures of Him in my home...it makes Him more accessible to me. When I go for a walk out in nature, I see the beauty of the world that God created, but when I want to really open up and talk to Jesus, that's when I feel the closest to Him. It gives me goosebumps! It is like a touch from Him and reaches my soul deep inside. I don't ever want to lose this feeling...I am so grateful He came for me.

PS...I love when you share spiritual blogs with us. It's like a slice of your sermons on Sunday. I can never hear enough about Him.