Tuesday, September 13, 2016

LESSON 12 - RESPECT

During September I'm blogging each day about one thing I've learned from 35 years of doing ministry.  Not rocket science -- just tips that have served me well these past three decades.

Lesson #12 - Respect what each person brings to the team.

These kinds of things need to be said out loud to one another.  I've always been good with this on paper, but heartfelt and honest praise needs to be given in front of team members with everybody present in the room, not just one-on-one.  It needs to be said so big groups of people hear how you feel about the people you work with, without seeming sappy or passing out meaningless flattery.

We did an exercise with our team one day where we went around the table and every person told one thing about every other person that was praiseworthy.

"Here's what you bring to the team that the team cannot do without.  Here's how you make us better."

That was a great day.  I'll never forget it and I don't think any of the other team members will either.

And be blessed.

No comments: