Sunday, June 5, 2016

ANGRY

I got saved every weekend in church while growing up.  Yup.  Every service I'd raise my hand - if not outwardly, I did on the inside.

I was scared I was going to end up in hell for sure.

How many times I came into the house as a kid and couldn't find my mother or grandmother and was positive Jesus had come and whisked them off to heaven while I wasn't looking and left me behind.  I'd end up cowering in a dark clothes closet waiting for the Antichrist to come root me out and punish me.

But he never did.

There were times I heard that God was mad, mad, mad, mad, mad.  I was a sinner in the death grip of an angry God.  Then at some point that whole message swung to how much God loved me no matter what I did or how often I did it.  I sure did like that a whole lot better.

Which was the truth?  God is angry?  Or, God loves you?

Your disobedience - your sin -- my disobedience - my sin -- breaks the heart of God.  But let's be real about it.  It also inflames a holy God.  Because the cross of Christ is a picture of the rage of God against sin ... and His indescribable mercy toward sinners.

How marvelous.

And be blessed.

No comments: