Thursday, January 22, 2015

IMAGE-BEARERS

Abortion has been legal in this country for over 40 years now.  Can we just move on?

No, we can't.  Here's why.

Today is Celebration of Life Day.  

Life, I said.

The immediate discomfort the idea of aborting babies places on our spiritual souls is a proper discomfort.  We should hope and pray it never goes away, eons after the legal right to abort children has been established.

That unsettledness you feel comes from your Creator, who made every human distinctive out of His great love for His creation.  It is His imprint on your body - on your soul - on your psyche - on your image - it is what gives you inherent value as a two-legged creature with opposable thumbs who continuously walks upright.

To lay assault to any fully- or partially-formed 'image bearer of God' puts us dangerously in the place of God -- somewhere we are woefully inadequate to sit or function.

We stand - we pray - we cry out for the unborn - fragile image-bearers

So, 42 years later, we stand - we pray - we cry out for the unborn ---- fragile 'image-bearers' who cannot speak for themselves.  This plague has been faced in times before and unknown to us and God has always preserved His people and shone His light in the middle of great darkness.  It will be no different now.

Our passion for a holy God who hates the killing of unborn children compels us to pray unceasingly for the sanctity of human life to be realized by an unbelieving world which slaps at and mocks its own Creator by endorsing and involving itself in the vicious halting of life.

May we intercede as The Prayerful Voice for those who are mute.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am pro-life...I would have never wanted me or my daughter to abort our babies. I hate the way some women seem to use it as birth-control. It is such a blatant disregard for a precious life and completely irresponsible, as well. There are very real consequences to having sex...creating life or even emotionally. Our society today seems to be so self-absorbed with their rights to do as they please without caring about anyone else. Born or unborn.

Having said all of that, there are a couple of situations that have me questioning. Life of the mother is one. I just don't know exactly what to think about that. It may sound terrible, but if the choice was to lose my wonderful daughter or have her have an abortion to save her life, I know how I would feel.

The other is in the case of rape or molestation. I think being raped would be the most horrific thing to go thru. Sex is sacred and beautiful and to be defiled like that would be agonizing. I was molested, but I was only a very young child. Had I been older and became pregnant from this sick man I would feel repulsed to carry his child. This is just me being real.

Two more points to make. One, the vast majority of women have NOT been in those situations. It is more of an inconvenience and disruption of their lives. Like I said earlier, sex can have various outcomes and we all know what they can be. So, be responsible in the first place. Second, I think that even if abortion is legal that it is horrific to kill your baby when it can feel pain. There is a point early on when a baby develops nerve endings and can feel pain. How can anyone with a conscience do that?

Lastly, I personally have no problem with the morning-after pill. I see it as akin to taking birth control in the first place. I'm not sure that God does, though. It reminds me of my favorite Psalm 139...I knew you before you were formed in your Mothers womb. He creates life and it truly is a miracle. Anyone who sees an ultrasound can witness that.

Anonymous said...

PK, I have one other comment to share in regards to this topic. My Mom got pregnant and had me when she was only 15 yrs old. She was a child. There were so many times in my life that she almost seemed more like a sister than a mother. There were also many times when I really wished she had given me up for adoption. We had a poor and tumultuous life, basically until I moved out at 18 yrs old. The thing is...if it had happened today, she may have very well aborted me. That is a distinct possibility...one I never had the guts to ask her. I know that my Grandmother didn't want her to have me. Abortion was illegal at that time, but for some women, it didn't stop them.

I will say, definitively, that my own experiences have not played a big part in my views on abortion. I just believe that tiny, fragile, dependent infants need us. If 'we' do not speak out who will?

PK's BLOG said...

Thanks for sharing, Anon.

On the earlier anon post, which I may assume might also be you . . . I think your feelings about abortion in regards to rape or risk of the mother's life are understandable and perhaps even typical - tough to argue with even.

But i wonder had your own mother been the victim of rape and you were the result, if we would have been happy had she aborted you under those circumstances. We might admit that we were grateful she didn't.

The absence of love at conception does not preclude the absence of love after a live birth.

It is a hard subject.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was me on the two posts. I suppose I am grateful, but I'm really not so special. I think if I had something to be excited about it is my kids and grandkids. There are other things, too, but I have tried to end it on my own a few times. I guess that's life. There are good times and not-so-good times for everyone. It's just how we deal with it.

I suppose this is a strange question, but if I hadn't been born to my own unique set of parents, at certain point in time...would I have ever been born? Would I have existed at all? Only God knows for certain, but it is a curious question.

Oh well, back to the subject at hand...yes, it is a hard subject.