Wednesday, January 21, 2015

HUG

Today is National Hug Day.

It was created by a fellow Reverend.  His first name is actually Kevin.

The similarities end there.

I've never been a big hugger.  I'm not sure why.  Growing up, my family wasn't super big on it.

I mean, I'll hug my wife and kids, sure -- but two people not married to the other wrapping themselves around one another -- I don't know -- sketchy.

Having said that, I've become a little more comfortable with it down thru the years.

'I've never been a big hugger.'

There's a great guy at my church -- he is committed to turning me in to a hugger.  He's making some progress, I'll admit.  He doesn't give (or want to receive) one of these namby-pamby pat-type hugs.  I am gently but roundly chastised when I give one of those to him.  He insists on a full on draw-you-in embrace -- not just to me, but to everybody he sees.

People love him.  I see why.

There's a young guy at church who always comes up to me and gives me a big bear hug.  Sometimes he even plants a kiss on my face (not the lips).  I'm just sayin.'  No, he is not weird, though perhaps I would have a tough time convincing you of that at this point.  But he isn't.  Weird, I mean.

Several years back we took a team to India.  One of our team members went with one mission in mind -- to give as many free hugs as possible.  She gave a lot of them.

According to the rules of National Hug Day, its purpose is to help everyone show more emotion in public (not sure we need that) by offering a hug to anyone and everyone you meet.

Anyone ... and everyone.

Got it.

I am now going to celebrate this day by going upstairs and hugging the Christian Life School Spiritual Formations Department head.

I am married to her.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I am single, so it isn't often that I actually have another humans contact. Sad, but true. My brother is a hugger...every time anyone in his family says good-bye. It's nice. I don't hug my parents nearly enough, though.

Both of my kids (adults now) live out of state and I give them the biggest bear hugs when I see them. They are my heart. Lol...when my daughter was growing up, I used to rub her hair. It was soothing and loving to her. And it made me feel good to show her that I love her so much. Anyway, when she was in her 20's, she came to visit, and she was laying on the couch and I reverted to our old ways. She still felt loved, but later, when I mentioned it on FB, she said it sounds too weird. Yes...I do share my life and thoughts on FB. It's just my closest friends, so I feel free.

I will say one thing...Pastor Lisa gives the greatest hugs ever! She is warm and they are long. Like I said, I rarely have another humans contact, so it was awesome. Lol, just remembering it makes me think of Freedom Seekers. She truly is the best!

I wish I had known it was National Hug Day. My Mom popped by tonight. I love my Mom a lot and it would have been a good reason to remind her how much.

Awesome holiday!

Joelene said...

I'm waiting!