Saturday, December 20, 2014

WOW

There is no doubt that, generally speaking, there's something missing in relationships today - it's missing between husbands and wives - it's missing between friends - it's missing between family members.

What is missing is that little word 'grace' -- favor undeserved -- acceptance unconditional -- giving someone what they don't deserve.

And while I will admit, every now and again it pops up -- little glimpses of it here and there -- typically it's in short supply.  Because if I show grace - if I give them what they don't deserve - I'll let have to let him/her off the hook.  And the unspoken sentiment is that can not happen under any circumstance.  Someone, more specifically THEY, must pay.

To have attitudes that are supernaturally graceful would mean we'd have to go against the grain of current culture - against the grain of most of the relationships we know - and I'm not sure I'm willing to be the one to go first with it.  I'm more likely to measure it out carefully and cautiously until you give me more than I would give you.  I'm more likely to make doubly sure whoever is on the receiving end of my grace-granting is worthy of it.

But every now and then you see it -- some display of grace that is so out-of-the-box that it takes your breath away.  Someone says something or does something that is so anti-normal that you go: '(Insert your favorite gasping noise here) ... there it is ... that's it ... that's what is missing from most of the interactions and relationships I know.'

It isn't very common - but when we see it - we're secretly jealous of it and wonder if we'd respond anywhere near that way if we were in that situation.

Frankly, real grace is that rare and unique.  And when we witness it, something inside you and me goes ... 'Wow.'

The grace-wow toward us is that 2,000 years ago, a gift came into the world.  Christmas is the message of a baby - that is the wow - coming to earth in flesh and blood.  God, in the form of Jesus, left heaven to enter our world as a tiny, vulnerable, soft, crying, innocent, messing-His-pants baby.  Think of it, Jesus -- GOD -- in diapers.

And grace was re-born.

Wow.

And be blessed.

No comments: