Thursday, November 7, 2013

LADDER

In the movie Pulp Fiction, starring Uma Thurman and John Travolta, there's a scene that was evidently taken out before final production where Thurman tells Travolta that she needs to find out what kind of man he is before she goes out with him.  She says:

'There are two kinds of people in this world - Elvis people and Beatles people.  Beatles people can like Elvis - and Elvis people can like the Beatles.  But nobody likes both equally.  Somewhere you have to make a choice and that choice tells me who you are.'

Interesting and indeed.

You could tell me certain things about yourself that would help me understand who you are:
You like to skydive.
You like Pepsi One.
You go to drive-ins rather than indoor theaters.
You read mystery novels.

But let me ask you another defining question: When you read the Bible, do you read it as a way to better yourself - climb up the moral ladder --- or do you read it as the story of God coming down to you as a broken person?

The answer to that is self-incriminating because one describes a ladder and the other a cross.  You get on a ladder to go up.  The cross, however, symbolizes God coming down to you.

We seem somewhat addicted to ladder-climbing.  We think the next rung brings freedom.  It means we get to make our own decisions, move at our own pace, hold our futures in our own hands.  And if I climb high enough, I'll be somebody - who I've always dreamed of being.  I'll achieve something - what I've always dreamed of achieving.

Part of our ladder-climbing is directed toward which rung everybody else in our system is on - a lower one than us, hopefully.

This road to supposed freedom is really the opposite.  It brings bondage -- blown expectations -- empty dreams -- false worth -- hollow accomplishments -- constant performance.

God isn't at the top of your ladder like Jack in the Beanstalk shouting: 'Get yourself up here.'  He's at the bottom - on a cross - whispering: 'I did it all for you.'

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Leaderj said...

Everytime I try and climb the ladder, I fall down in broken pieces to find myself lying next to the cross. It must be in my nature that every time God puts me back together again, I say thanks…I got it…and back up the ladder to fall again. Hmmm, When am I going to learn that I need to lay next to the cross daily, hourly and minute by minute, because those are getting tougher as I get older. Great Post. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Wow, PK, this is truly one of the more thought-provoking posts to me. Can it possibly be both? I confess that many times I read it as ways to become a better Christian. I do like Proverbs.

But, most often, I look for God to speak to me. What does He say about where I am and where I should be going? I need His help and guidance on things.

It's rather funny that you use the Elvis/Beatles reference. My Mom was an Elvis type of person. Back in my day it was the Osmonds/Jackson 5. I was a Motown girl all the way. :) Michael Jackson it was for me.

But, on a more serious note, when I imagine Jesus as a broken man, it is so hard to truly imagine. Even though He suffered greatly, He is our Lord and He died willingly for us. He is so strong. Most of us could not have even remotely bore what He went through. It's very hard to reconcile Him as a mortal and Him as our Savior. They seem like two different things.

When I read this post, it once again, reminds me of the ways I have tried to be worthy of God...and how I have struggled to be that person. When I fail I grow far from Him. He shows grace when He brings me back to Him when I am so sinful.

Shanon H said...

First of all - I say Elvis over the Beatles ;-)
As my bible reading time.... I listen to and watch a lot of sermons for my self help stuff. (love podcasts!!) so when I read the bible I for I read it for answers, I read it for comfort, I read it for guidance... I'm sure I don't read it enough - I personally turn to my bible during my trials and listen to the sermons daily for my "maintenance." Maybe I would stave off the trials better if I'd use the bible for my maintenance ;-)

Anonymous said...

PK, I just now finished watching 'The Cross' by Billy Graham. It was actually on Fox, but I watched online. Billy Graham is compelling, mesmerizing...I just can't say enough about him. When I was young, I went to see him in IL. I am not sure who I went with, but I sure remember him. He will have a mansion in heaven and I feel sure that he will invite many in.

Anyway, here is the link. I sincerely hope that your readers will check it out.

http://myhopewithbillygraham.org/programs/the-cross/