Wednesday, May 22, 2013

POINT

For decades, Christ-followers have been taught that Christianity was a lifestyle - that the foundation of our faith rested on how we should live - centered on the moral changes that took place in our behaviors.

Performance.  Ours.  Not focused on Jesus' performance.

I know - I know - the Bible has all kinds of things to say about our becoming like Christ on the outside.  But that part is secondary - at least.

I'll confess that I have more recently come to grasp this in greater fullness - after years of going a different direction.  I have come to understand and believe that the major focus of the Bible is not us -- it is the substitutionary death of Christ on the cross.  The highlight of the Gospel is HIS life, not ours.

We have preached and thought and assumed that folks have inside them some ability to 'roll up their sleeves' and 'pull up their bootstraps' and 'get out the elbow grease' in order to right themselves.  But ultimately we all come to the same conclusion - our own efforts to improve ourselves is a deck of flimsy cards.

As one author said: 'The more I look into my own heart for peace, the less I find ... the more I look to Christ and His promises for peace, the more I find."

He is the way.

He is the truth.

He is the life.

He is the whole point.

And be blessed.

No comments: