Thursday, May 16, 2013

EVIDENCE

We spent time in our life group last evening talking about our own personal faith walks.  So good to hear where each person has come from and where God is taking them.  Everybody in their own stage of discovery and understanding and obedience.  Great stuff.

It isn't a bad question to ask of ourselves: 'How certain are you that your view of God is based on actual evidence rather than opinion?'  And, 'What might help to increase the level of confidence you have in what/how you believe in God?'

'If there were no God, there would be no atheists.'     ---- Chesterton

Belief requires faith - and Hebrews 11 says 'without faith it is impossible to please God.'  That doesn't mean reason or intelligence have to be thrown out the window.  The existence of God can be a very reasonable faith decision.

Even so, there are doubts.  Even if you recognize God probably exists, it still may be hard to completely believe it.

You aren't the first one to have doubts.  The Bible is full of people who questioned.  Here's what Jesus said to the most famous of doubters, Thomas:  'Jesus, without shaming Thomas, said: "Reach out and put your hand in my side.  Stop doubting and believe."  Thomas said to Him: "My Lord and my God."  Then Jesus told him: "Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."'  (John 20:27-29)

Jesus met Thomas at his point of need - it says, without shaming him.  He'll meet you at your point of need too.

It was a sick boy's father in Mark chapter 9 who said to Jesus: 'I believe; help my unbelief.'  That can be our cry today as well.  I believe - I'm at 40% - but God, move me to 45% (substitute your own percentages).

Trust Him.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently had a conversation with my daughter. She told me that she isn't sure if God exists. She had many questions and doubts. One of those were "If God exists then how can He let so many terrible things happen in the world?" That is a common question.

PK explained this. It is because of the first sin with Adam and Eve and so forth. It is because God gives us free will and we have turned away from Him, so He is letting us have our way. He won't force us, more or less. Also, He allows very many things in order to draw us back to Him. Many people will turn to God in bad times and not too often when things are going along just fine.

I explained this to my daughter, but she still has her doubts. She had many other questions and I tried to explain as best I could. I think it is something that she won't change overnight, but I hope to talk with her more and more.

PK, I love the idea of thinking about what percentage you believe and work to believe more. Not to chastise yourself or let others do it to you because you are not 100% sure.

PK, I hope I explained what you said alright. If I am off, then let me know.