Tuesday, March 5, 2013

WHELMS

I have days where I feel overwhelmed.  It isn't always for the same reason.  Some days it's the sheer work load.  Other days it's about WHO rather than WHAT.  Still other days it's neither of those - it's being overwhelmed for someone I love and care for.  Now and then it's a singular event or circumstance that overtakes me and 'whelms' me.

'Now and then it's a singular event or circumstance that overtakes me and 'whelms' me.'

In such moments, what do I do?

Let me tell you what I think I should do, rather than what I actually do, because that isn't a particularly pretty or effective blog.

And at the risk of being cliche, it's still powerful.  First, give thanks.  Anonymous wrote: 'I cried for having no shoes, until I met a man with no legs.'  That just means, it could be worse and some days, it has been.  There's still a lot to be grateful for.

Second, believe what Jesus said.  That means on the day I want to stay in bed, pull the sheets way up over my head and stay in the dark, I've missed the fact that Jesus' yoke is easy - His burden, light.
'Doesn't feel light, Jesus.'  
'Child - I've told you the truth.  I don't lie.'

Third, repeat #1.

Try it.
No - just try it.
You know who you are.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. Not because I have this demanding workload, but because I care about you. I know you said that you and Joelene are planners. Maybe you have planned more than is feasible.

I think sometimes you can use the blog to almost use it as a journal and relieve some of the pressure you face. No one would begrudge you for it. I know I wouldn't.

I completely understand your analogy about the man. The truth is we all have something to deal with. It's all relative.

I have had many days I wanted to pull the covers over my head...and I do. I don't have anywhere near the pressure and responsibilty as you do.

Take care of yourself and give yourself a break...you aren't invincible. That goes for Joelene, too. Take that vacation and re-charge. It would be good for both of you. Big hugs to both of you.