Friday, January 11, 2013

NAME DROP

I once shook hands with Ronald Reagan.  That's when he was alive.  It was at the Republican National Convention held in Kansas City, Missouri - my hometown - back in 1976.  I was 16.  Our youth group went to do some menial tasks for the convention and, lo and behold, I'm standing there and Reagan walks around the corner with an entourage and --- shakes my hand!

Once, I got on an elevator and right before the door closed a man got on and as I looked closer it was Tony Orlando (minus "Dawn").  Look it up.

Joelene and I were on vacation in Florida years ago and we were doing a little grocery shopping and she bumped right into Los Angeles baseball star Steve Garvey.  I might not have all those details exactly right, but it was definitely Steve Garvey she crashed into.

I was at a banquet when I was a freshman in college and Bill Gaither sat next to me.

My cousin is the best friend's brother of Brad Pitt's personal trainer.

That last one was just made up - but the 'name drop' happens more often than we realize.  Maybe the next time somebody does that in a conversation, we should bend over as if we're picking something up and say, 'Let me grab that name for you that just got dropped.'

I wonder if we've ever considered dropping the name Jesus in any conversations.

Oh well.  I gotta go.  Steven Furtick is calling.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never shaken a Presidents hand, but I always liked Reagan. The only thing leaving me wondering is why he had so many problems with his grown kids.

I lived in CA for 20 yrs, so we had the opportunity to meet and in some cases just see a lot of stars.

Funny you met Tony Orlando, too! I used to work at Marriott Desert Springs Resort near Palm Springs. I waited on him at the store I was in. I knew who he was, but I was too shy to say anything.

I also saw Dr. J...the basketball player there...he said hi as he passed me. The most intimidating was Donald Trump and Marla Maples. I was the only one in the store helping them pick out gifts for his kids. I sincerely thought I might have a heart attack. They could see how nervous I was and Trump had a smirk...lol.

I met most of the Lakers...even Magic. But you already know AC was my very favorite.

We got to go to star watch in Hollywood and Beverly Hills. And Universal Studios.

Both of my kids worked at Disneyland and the families would come, so they met a few. My favorite was John Travolta.

Living in CA was awesome, but I only let on how excited was to meet AC. I was so shy with the rest! I always knew I would never want to be famous and have all of that attention...part of me just wanted to let them be normal...but I was still scared...lol.

Anonymous said...

I am just curious. When you sat next to Bill Gaither, did you talk with him? I just wondered if you were as nervous as I was when I met others. I know you had mentioned before that you were a bit shy, too.

PK's BLOG said...

I did talk to him. The rest of that 'funny' story is -- I didn't know it was him until he was introduced by the emcee. He never told me his name - just talked to me. :)

Anonymous said...

That's cool! Really something to remember! :)