Tuesday, December 25, 2012

EXPENSIVE

I've never done this before -- but here's what I got for Christmas today from some of my fam:

An electric shaver (really needed one, and my face is grateful)
A book by Richard Dawkins (it's a long story)
A watch (two actually)
A universal remote (every guy will understand this gift)
Armani cologne (really needed it - if you've been up close to me lately, you know that)
A brain-teaser game (my brain is teased out)
A set of headphones (my workout thanks you)
A coat (I bought that for myself, but still)
Various Chocolates (yes).
Lots of Grace.

It's true.  Grace.  Best gift of the day, hands down.  And by far the most expensive gift I received today.  No contest.  Not even close.

Chances are, if your family is anything like mine -- if your friendships are anything like mine -- that somewhere in your world there is a need for unconditional, unexplainable grace.  There is someone who doesn't deserve it - and God will call you this Christmas season to dig way down deep and give what might be your most expensive gift of all.

Because grace will cost you some pride - it will cost you some time - it will cost you some emotion - and even as you're reading this right now, considering it with 'that person,' something resistant starts to well up inside you.

'No, no, no -- they won't appreciate it -- they won't acknowledge it -- they won't receive it -- they won't return it.'  And it is at times like these we learn that grace is expensive.  In fact, it cost your heavenly Father the life of His only Son.

And here's my question . . .

Where in your world of relationships - friends - family - neighbors - is there that someone who desperately needs from you precisely what they don't deserve?  Where is there, in your world, the opportunity to extend grace to someone so that the people who know you and your situation best would gasp out loud -- where the person to whom you show the grace would be so taken by surprise?

'Wait, wait, wait ... you don't know the whole story.  You don't know what happened between me and that person.'  But that's what makes grace grace.  It's the undeserving part that makes it grace.

Somebody needs you to show up - somebody needs you to listen - somebody needs you to stay one extra day - somebody needs your acceptance - somebody needs to hear you say, 'I love you.'  

'At Christmas our heavenly Father canceled all our excuses . . . '

But they won't say it back.

I know.  That's why it's called grace.

At Christmas our heavenly Father canceled all our excuses when He "demonstrated His love for us - in that while we were still sinners - Christ died for us."  (Romans 5:8)

That was grace.

Where you live, who is that deserves Christmas grace the least - and who is that needs Christmas grace the most - and what would it look like for you to extend it their direction?

Would you be willing to give the most expensive gift of all this Christmas?

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, we had an excellent Christmas! Dinner was delish, Mom made a Hummingbird Cake. It's very rich and so good! The adults don't exchange gifts anymore since it gets so expensive...it's all about the grandkids. I still got a Christmas present, though...the Lakers won! :)

Fortunately, I don't have anyone I need to extend grace to. I love all of the people in my life. I do most certainly am grateful for God's grace, though. I surely need it.

I thank God for all of the wonderful people He has put in my life. Happy Birthday Jesus!!!

I'm glad you and the family had a great Christmas! I know I did!

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I had such a good Christmas is because I could spend it with my Mom AND my Dad. They divorced 43 yrs ago when I was eight. It was under some very difficult circumstances. My Dad moved nearby about 3 yrs ago and they have been able to share times with us together. It keeps getting better. They really were just chatting away on Christmas Day and it felt good. It all was fun and I enjoyed every minute of our day. These are the things I am most grateful for...my family and friends.