Monday, December 10, 2012

BONDS

I talked this past weekend in front of reasonably large crowds about cheating your activities or your hobbies or your friends or your interests so that you would not cheat your family.

Then I opened my Bible this morning and start reading in Matthew 10: 'I have come to set a man against his own father.'  Years ago, a family left our church because I spoke on this passage, where it continues on to say: 'He who loves father or mother more than Me (Christ), isn't worthy of Me.'  Sigh.  Really, God?

It isn't God's way for you to be at odds with your neighbor or your co-worker or your friend or culture, but if and when you have to be, most of us can handle that.  But when it's your own mother or father or son or daughter, that's one rough road.

The one thing I didn't talk about this past weekend as I was 'laying down the law' about how we should treat our families, was that we shouldn't cheat God either.  Foremost, we shouldn't cheat Him.  And the hardest truth is this:  Your commitment to faith and Christ goes even against your love and need for family.

How many times have I heard a young man or woman say: 'I came to Christ and my family threw me out - they didn't want anything to do with me anymore?'  

One of the most tension-filled concepts in the Scripture is that when we turn our lives to Christ, we may be forced to make a choice between God and family.  The true disciple will turn from even them, if necessary.  The cost can be high.

Family cords are just about the most expensive thing we can think of here on Earth - but even that doesn't have the power that Christ's love has.  It's so strong that, now and then - sadly, it cuts family bonds.

I trust I'll never have to make that decision - and yet, it isn't a bad thing to think what you might do if you ever had to.

And be blessed.

No comments: