Tuesday, December 11, 2012

CARE

'I don't care what anybody thinks.'  

That's what I've heard folks say in the church:  'I'm going to sing and dance and throw up my hands and do a jig -- and I don't care what anybody thinks.'

To which I respond:  'I was with you ... right up until the point you said you didn't care what anybody thought.  That doesn't sound like Jesus to me.'

When we say we want to be the kind of community that reaches out to people far from God, we're saying we do care what people think.  We forego what may be necessary for us in order to reach them.  This life of full sacrifice extends even to this.  I believe we have churches full of people who love Jesus - and that's great.  But I'm sorry; that's not enough.

If we don't think about the person who doesn't know God - who is searching for meaning - who needs to grasp faith - we are basically saying to them [if you'll forgive me] - 'You can go to hell.'


May it never be.  We have to care.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the times that I have brought my Mom or Dad, I don't raise my hand. They virtually never go to church and I know it would be awkward for them. They don't sing during worship either. The good thing is that Mom brought up coming for Christmas Eve service. I didn't have to ask...she brought it up herself.

PK's BLOG said...

The good thing about bringing a friend or relative to church is that -- if they see or hear something they don't understand or that they think is slightly weird -- you can always invite them out afterwards and explain it to them. After all, they don't think YOU'RE weird because they came with you to church -- they might think I'M weird for being the pastor of such a church, but that's the beauty of relational evangelism. You can explain it to them and they'll be open to receive it because they like you already.

Anonymous said...

I was excited that Mom brought up coming for Christmas Eve. My Mom doesn't think you are weird...I have had the opportunity to introduce you to her and I think she likes you just fine. I always have good things to say about you. You are not judgemental and you are kind.