Tuesday, November 20, 2012

MANUAL

'What's the path?'  

That's what a lot of people ask us these days.  How do I get from 'here' to 'there' in my spiritual walk?  Fair question.  Fair, if you like the answer, that is.

I agree with D. Browning, who says that discipleship in America has become complicated by the American educational system:  Start with Level 101 and move to 201, then 301 and so on.  The church, with good intentions, has modeled much of its process after the above.

Not that that's bad.  It just isn't what Jesus did.

The system Jesus set in place was way more relational (one of our KFA core values, by the way) than it was informational.  Jesus said, "Follow Me."  That was pretty much it.

We know, for example, that we should read our Bibles, but very often we don't.  Why not?  Haven't you been told that over and over by some preacher/teacher until he/she is blue in the face but you've stopped listening?  Yes.  Do you really need to be told that anymore?  Unless you're a brand-new believer (THEY need to be told), the answer is 'No.'

'You pick up the Manual and help somebody.'

The gap isn't between what we know and don't know - it's between what we know and do.  When Jesus said, "Go make disciples," He wasn't talking to the organized church - He was talking to His disciples.  That's you ... and me.  Disciple means follower.

YOU model the life.
YOU get a disciple.
YOU hold their hand and walk them thru it.

We'll help equip you - that's our job - we're doing that.  Then you pick up the Manual and help somebody.

It isn't that tough; there aren't really that many things to know.  Sometimes we come to a weekend and want to hear something we've never heard before.  That doesn't cut it.  That's information.  You don't need more of that unless you're planning on hosting a Bible Trivia Quiz Game at your house later that evening.  Here's what you need to know - and here's what you need to model:

A Life of Sacrifice in Worship to God
A Life of Service with Enthusiasm for God
A Life of Community in Authenticity with Others
A Life of Sharing what God has Done for you with Somebody

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ... Boom and done.

Any questions?

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Much earlier in my walk I asked about being discipled and I was guided to the most beautiful and devoted Christian I have ever met. Dare I say, even more so than most pastors. She was just angelic. I met with her several times, but I began feeling as if I couldn't keep up. I was still drinking milk and she was miles ahead of me. After a bit, I told her that I was not ready. But, she was such a beautiful spirit and I am always delighted when I see her at church. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she will have a mansion in heaven, and most likely have others join her.