Monday, November 19, 2012

FOREGO

I read an article today that said 45% of Americans would forego Christmas if they could.  The holiday brings so much stress --- family, finances, friends, obligations, time pressures -- they'd rather just skip it and go right to January.

It first bothered me when I read that.  Christmas is the culmination of the year wrapped in tinsel and bows --- it is smiles at the store that you never get the rest of the year --- it's what we wait and wait and wait for for months on end --- it's food till we burst --- skip it?!

So, given that, I thought I could give you some stress-relieving tips to help you avoid being part of the 45% ... things like:
- Plan a budget for Christmas
- Get some exercise during the season
- Keep some time for yourself
- Allow yourself to have some fun
- Blah, blah and blah.

We can skip Christmas if we want to, but what we can't do is skip Christ-mas.  It is the representation of what Jesus did for us.  He left His eternal home where He belonged --- He put on skin to become like us --- He lived a sinless life and sacrificially walked His way to a cross to be crucified for our sins --- in our place --- as our substitute --- so we could stand free and forgiven.

Jesus did that.

Christmas did that.

Don't skip it -- not the REAL Christmas, at least.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that I have grandchildren, I would never want to skip Christmas. They are 5 yrs and 2 yrs. When they see the Christmas lights and help decorate and see Santa, there is excitment in their eyes. It is wonderful to relive my own childrens anticipation. All of the adults agreed to skip presents. For us, it is all about the kids. Just Christmas cards. There were a couple of yrs that my Dad chose to make a donation to a children's charity instead of sending cards to everyone. I love Christmas, but our family have amde it much simpler for our family.

Anonymous said...

One more thing, there was a year that my kids, in college, really had no extra money for Mother's Day. I asked them to write me a letter. I still have them. My daughter wrote the most precious letter and framed it with pictures of the two of us thru out her yrs growing up. I love it! It is right on my bedroom dressor, and this was about 10 yrs ago. The love lasts forever, but gifts may not.