Sunday, April 29, 2012

PINK

Change is the new constant.  It's just true.  We need to get comfortable with it; it's here to stay.

It's true in society as well.  Things are changing and I love it.

Our youth pastor, Jon Brown, came onstage wearing a pink t-shirt today.  It had the name of our women's ministry, "SHE," emblazoned across the front.  He was promoting their upcoming 'SHINE' conference.  According to him, he was secure enough in his manhood to get away with it, entertaining us with some onstage swagger.  FYI:  He IS man enough to get away with it.

Remember the days when you walked into the new baby's room and if it was painted pink you knew for sure, 1,000% - that the baby was a girl?  No question.  But no longer, folks.  Oh, I know - most of you, including me - wouldn't paint your little boy's room pink for fear the little guy will turn into a chick, but the fact is it was not an issue either way until after World War I.  That was about the time we decided we'd assign colors to genders.  A 1918 newspaper editorial stated that pink was a 'stronger color ... more suitable for the boy; while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.'

Yes, you heard that right.  Pink was for boys; blue for girls.  It makes perfect sense.  Pink is the color of a manly raw steak, right?

And remember how they used to dress little boys way back then?  Like this:


Yeah, that's Franklin Delano Roosevelt - not some little girl.  He's the guy who was elected to the presidency four times.  Great start, huh?

It was not until the 1940s that the colors switched to pink for girls and blue for boys.  So I'm just saying I wouldn't get real hung up about pink or blue if I were you because things, they are a'changin.'  Then again, my kids are all grown -- and they were all girls.

"SHE" t-shirts for everyone!

I did not make this up.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Jon Brown said...

I'm disturbed by this photo. I feel so bad for this boy with no swagger. Thanks for the shout out!

Anonymous said...

WORD.

(From DBJ)

Anonymous said...

Lol, Jon Brown...that cracks me up! :)