Wednesday, April 11, 2012

CHICK

My home has been populated for decades by a wife and three growing-up daughters, so over the years I have endured my share of chick flicks.  I have sat thru the likes of:
The Princess Bride
Fame
Ella Enchanted
Freaky Friday
The Princess Diaries (#1 and #2)
Sleepless in Seattle
Beaches
The Notebook
The Women
Gone with the Wind
Steel Magnolias
Titanic (yes, it was a chick flick)
... and anything and everything else starring Audrey Hepburn and Barbra Streisand. 

A few years ago when all three daughters were home at the same time, we decided to go out together to see a movie.  It was something we hadn't had the chance to do together - just the five of us - in years, and so I was looking forward to it.  Felt like old times.

I was kind of just 'along for the ride,' just enjoying the fam time together and didn't even bother to ask what we were seeing.  When you're down 4-to-1, you get used to that.  So we all ended up sitting in the movie theater together with our cokes and popcorn, getting ready for the big feature.  I glanced around casually and noticed a couple of ladies sitting behind me to the left.  Down right front sat a grouping of four women.  I didn't think much about it.  Over the next several minutes, more women came in and found seats together.  I turned to Joelene and asked: "What movie are we seeing, by the way?"  She answered: "Hairspray."

It was at that point I noticed I was the only man in the entire theater and I ended up scrunching down as far as I could in my seat and prayed for the movie to start so the lights would go out. 

This weekend commences our annual 'At The Movies' series at KFA (www.kenoshafirst.com).  We have, for several years now, taken a few weeks during the year and stacked the Word of God up against some of the major movies of the season - to see what the world says it values and how it compares to what God values and Biblical truth.

Some of the most powerful weekends of the year have come about as a result of this series, so I'm excited to be part of that once again this year.

What is great about this year's selections is that there are a couple of movies for GUYS in the pack.  So come on out starting this weekend - four weeks in a row - for 'At The Movies' at KFA - starring:

Real Steel
Mission Impossible
We Bought A Zoo
The Help  (all right, that one might be a chick flick, but it's good.)

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not really a chick flick kinda girl, so I vote for Mission Impossible. Good movie! I don't know about Titanic being a chick flick, though. Maybe borderline, but what's not to love about Leonardo DiCaprio? He is my very favorite actor ever!

PK's BLOG said...

What's not to love about L.D? My point exactly. LOL.

Anonymous said...

My favorite movie of all time is Inception! Your mind never stops going. :)

Anonymous said...

Think of it this way, Chick Flicks are the easiest way to earn bucks in the "bank of love" :)

Anonymous said...

Just curious...do you ever get a guy time to see movies you want? It seems so one sided. Even though you are surrounded by 4 women, they should love you enough to give you your time, too.