Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"E"

I will confess I am blind as a bat.  I'm the guy who goes to the optometrist and sits in the big chair and looks at the wall where they project the series of letters and the assistant goes: 'Can you read the top line?'

'Umm ... not really.'

Then she pulls the big Magoo eyeglass machine thing over in front of my face and I realize it's the giant "E" that I couldn't see.  Then I dutifully get my updated prescription and walk out with my fresh year's supply of new-and-improved lenses.

It seems that we're all blind to some extent.  We all need vision correction.  When you put the 'glasses of Jesus' on, you see things in ways you never did before.  More like He sees things.  You find yourself getting emotional over things He weeps about --you find yourself getting happy about things that makes Him smile.  He just sees things differently.

'We're all blind to some extent.  We all need vision correction.'

Sometimes we lock ourselves away in our Christian subcultures - turn out the lights - lock the doors - close the windows - pull the curtains - and refuse to go outside because we're afraid of or disgusted by what's out there.  

If we're afraid of it or disgusted by it, we can't hope to affect it.  Jesus left a pretty nice home in order to debase Himself and enter our world.  It stands to reason we have to leave our world of pews and crosses and Jesus songs to affect the world we hear about on the news every night.

Here is the irony of it all: If they saw the servant heart among us more, they would see more Jesus in us.  If they saw more of Jesus, they would let their hearts be changed by Him.

Exciting -- and doable.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly wish I could put on the "Jesus glasses" and see what He sees and feel what He feels. It would be so much better than relying on men to interpret the bible for me. Let's say...."God is love"... Beautiful and makes you want to love Him back. Then, let's say, "Take up your cross and follow me, forsaking all else, or you are not fit to be my disciple."
What is our heart to make of that? It's ok, PK, if I am spiritually blind, just say so, but the bible often makes little sense to me. There are millions of ways that lead to the pits of Hell and the gate is narrow that leads to Life... How reassuring that God loves us so much...

Anonymous said...

That' so good!