Thursday, February 9, 2012

SCISSORS

Since I confessed yesterday that I am blind as a bat, I'll also confess I'm about as hard-headed as a ... well, I don't really know what is so hard-headed that it will make my point the way the 'bat' thing did ... but ...

We tend to see the things we want to see and overlook what we don't want to see.  That's not blindness, that's stubbornness.  We read God's Word thru a personal filter.  We catalog in triplicate all the pages that agree with us and mentally blackout all the ones that don't.

If you're sensitive, you search the Scriptures for all the verses that make Jesus look tender and compassionate; if you're prophetic, you look for black-and-white declarations; if you're a faith person, you look for all the 'power' verses; if you need healing ... you get the picture.

We look for what we already know is there and what we already agree with.

'We tend to see the things we want to see and overlook what we don't want to see.'

I once took a pair of scissors and cut a passage right out of my Bible and handed it back across the room to a couple who was considering divorce for unBiblical reasons because they insisted they were being Biblical.  They just didn't want to see what was there.  They had decided.  (I taped it back after they left.) 

We need to obey it all, not just the parts we like and already agree with.  We hand the metaphorical scissors to God and let Him do what He does best instead of us taking the scissors and cutting away what doesn't please us.

And be blessed.

No comments: