Wednesday, December 7, 2011

POM POM

I was reading the other day about successful people - successful pastors - having a 'Bible in one hand and a pom pom in the other.'

I need to carry a pom pom more. I don't think I've ever been naturally skilled at being a great encourager. Recently, when our team (I asked our congregation to do this as well) took the Romans 12 gift test at www.gifttest.org, my results came out as follows:

Ruler -- 95%
Teacher -- 90%
Perceiver -- 85%
Giver -- 55%
Servant -- 50%
... all well and good, but then it dropped down to ...
Encourager -- 25%
Showing Mercy -- 16%

It isn't that I'm not an encouraging person - it isn't that I never show mercy. I do, but I guess I'm not driven or motivated as my first course of action by those things. Some of you won't be surprised at that, I'm sure. We can't all be 100% at everything on the list, but I know I need to be better at both of those things.

The legacy of Christian leaders to the early church was not their personal biographies or their 'gift test outcomes,' but the memory of their companionship. We don't know much about them at all, but we know how they lived as examples in community with others. We know how they cheered others on to run the race with vigor and resolve and determination and joy and abandon. Their letters are filled with admonishments, yes - a Bible in one hand - but also with great care, love and encouragement - a pom pom in the other. They are the most sympathetic of comforters and the most challenging of prophets.

Successful leaders spend a lot of their time waving pom poms -- encouraging, coaching, mentoring and guiding people to their own spectacular, God-given destinies.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh....this is a blog post I can wrap my arms around. :) PK, you have so very many wonderful qualities that make you a great pastor. That is most important. However, encouragement is not one of them. I think your favorite word is to "challenge" someone. And I have been plenty. So many times, I just wanted you to say, "You did it right."

I once read a book about the Five Love Languages of God. I think we all have ways that we respond to best and express ourselves best and we are fortunate that God speaks all of them and can reach us.

I'll see you Sunday with pom poms in hand! JK! :) You are still amazing!

PK's BLOG said...

HAHA. Well, thank you for affirming what I already wrote about myself here.

Anonymous said...

Lol....I truly do think you are awesome, though! The funny thing is that one of my high qualities on the test was encouraging. :) So, bring on the pom poms! Go PK!!!

Anonymous said...

PK, I was thinking about the qualities that you have and I think you are an exceptional leader, no doubt...but the quality that I, personally, appreciate is that of teacher. I have learned so much from you. Wish I would learn a little faster. At any rate, I am very grateful that you put up with me. :) You're a really good person.

Lol...I know we are close to the same age, but I really wish I had had a father like you. I admire you a great deal.