Monday, March 7, 2011

MUSTARD


We were praying for miracles in people's lives this past weekend. It was an awesome way to close out the service and the series on
James.

I'm always asking myself when I pray for people - and when I pray for myself - 'Do I really believe this can happen?'

I've listened to preachers and teachers conclude that the answer to every problem is just to 'have more faith.' If you have a problem, all you need to do is believe. That's all. Just believe. If you can't get over the mountain, you're just not believing enough. Then they throw the metaphor into the mix where Jesus said all we needed was mustard-seed faith and we could speak to the mountain, 'Be removed,' and it would be.

They interpret Jesus' words to mean we have a faith problem somewhere - just believe a little more and you're good to go. But I'm thinking what Jesus is pointing us to is the opposite conclusion. He isn't saying to have more faith; He's just saying to get SOME. ANY! The implication is if you have anything less than mustard-seed-size, that's like ZIP. NADA. ZERO.

It's not about believing for a miracle or a healing or a job or a relationship restoration, it's about an unshakable confidence in an Almighty God.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Faith is not relative. The switch is either on or off. Oh ye of no faith...

Anonymous said...

Contrast Matthew 6:30 Ye of little Faith with Luke 8:25 and Mark 4:40 - Where is your Faith???? How is it ye have no faith?? PK .. you are right on target. FAITH is absolute.

PK's BLOG said...

Hmmm - not sure, Anon. The disciples asked Jesus to 'increase their faith.'

Anonymous said...

PK-- I think I am sure...When did the disciples get their Faith? Was it before or After Jesus died on the cross? Pentacost? Thomas?

PK's BLOG said...

Pretty sure they were experiencing faith while they walked with Him in the flesh.