Sunday, March 6, 2011

JUICE


You were created for more than merely existing. We have redefined mediocrity as normal and too often expect that from ourselves - but God will not have it. He did not create us to be average, but unique. Being human was not intended to be a curse. It was meant as a gift.

You may dream of a better life or becoming some kind of 'better person,' but God knows the person you were created to become.

There is so much talk about 'potential' in our culture. Hasn't someone said that about you - or maybe you've said it about someone else --- "He has so much 'potential?'"

I used to hate that word. It's actually OK when somebody says it about you when you're 18 - 'He has so much 'potential.'" But when you're 45 and someone says 'He has so much 'potential,'" it's time to excuse yourself, step into a closet and have a good cry.

You're not supposed to die with your potential intact. A life well-lived squeezes every bit of juice out of your potential.

But I think what most of us want is pretty much just equity. Most of us would be OK to see life kind of even out. It's disturbing to think God would treat us disproportionately in regard to potential, yet it is absolutely true. If God can help more people by entrusting more to you than He does to me, He will. It's not about how much you got, it's about how you use what you have.

I'm trying to squeeze all the juice out that I can.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PK, you are blessed with talent, intellect and creativity. I admire you so much.

I think people have potential in various areas and we are on a journey. I had the potential to be a good Mom and I was...they are wonderful young adults. I had the potential to do well in college and when I left I had a 3.70 GPA. I think most of us have had some area that we have done well in.

For God's purposes, I had 2 years when I was very much involved in serving and being a light for the people around me. I was quite involved in the church. I know, for me, being addicted and dealing with my illness have given me certain things to deal with that have hindered me.

I do think I will come back to doing what God expects from me. More than likely, it will be a journey of highs and lows, but all will not be of no use.

Just imagine, if we all were as gifted as you, there might a church full of people standing in line to take your job.

I certainly hope I fulfill what God wants from me. I would prefer to do it in a quieter way, though. I do not crave the spotlight. I suppose that is what you mean about equity and having a life on an even keel. And I do want to be a better person, but I don't think that is such a bad thing.