Thursday, January 6, 2011

TEMPTATIONS

Top 10 Temptations Lead Pastors face:

1 Selling out God's Vision in exchange for a paycheck.
'God, help me never be guilt of this.' I never want to say something just because somebody wants me to or for fear that it will get me canned.

2 Trying to please everybody.
I've found it can't be done, even though I started out with that goal in the back of my head. No matter what I preach, how I dress, where I live, what I drive, how I talk - someone isn't going to care for it. I'm trying to be faithful to The Father and please Him, not man. I'm kind of hoping men ARE pleased in the process, but it's no guarantee.

3 Thinking that working harder will solve the problem.
The commandment to rest is no suggestion. Sometimes the best - and godliest thing - a pastor can do is walk away for awhile and relax and let God prove how perfectly capable He is of running the world and the church.

4 Sacrificing Family.
Mine is all grown up now, but my wife is still around - thank goodness. She's #2, right behind God. I've seen pastors allow the church to thrust their wives into activities they hate - but the pastors says she has to in order to 'keep the flock happy.' There isn't a church or ministry anywhere worth the price of your family. I'm thankful my daughters have married strong believers - they're both pastors actually - and I'm praying for #3 to find her Godly soulmate at some point.

5 Not delegating their weaknesses.
It's a myth that pastors have to be 'well-rounded.' They have to be great communicators, great shepherds, financial whizzes, Solomon-like counselors, theological masters, etc etc etc. Nobody is good at everything. Spending time in what you do well and delegating the rest will add the most value to your church over the long haul.

6 Avoiding conflict.
I've never been good at this. I don't invite it, but I don't avoid it either. Unresolved conflict is like a cancer. If it's not dealt with, it will grow, spread and kill.

7 Not spending personal time with God.
If I'm not doing it, I shouldn't expect others to do it. We need God ... He doesn't need us. So we need to spend more time seeking Him instead of merely asking Him to bless our plans.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these posts when you either open your heart or just give a glimpse into being a pastor. It makes you easier to relate to...I can see that you are more like me than I previously expected.

1. I have never once got the impression that you just say what people want to hear. I trust you for the right answers to my questions. I don't always agree 100% of the time, but I am not as knowledgable about the Bible as you, so I am open to the fact that I am misguided about some things.

2. I am very pleased with you as our pastor. We have not always seen eye-to-eye on every single matter, but basically, I think you are top-notch.

3. I am not entirely sure you rest enough. I've always been awed by how hard you work and the schedule you keep. My life is far more relaxing...maybe you and I need to meet in the middle in that area.

4. You have a great family and it's nice that you consider them in your decisions...you should...lol.

5. I have long had the impression that you have a but of "control freak" to you...lol. Sorry. It has benefitted you more than hurt you, I believe. So, delegating is awesome.

6. I can personally attest to the fact that you do not avoid conflict. I tend to avoid it at all costs, unless I feel safe with someone emotionally. We have disagreed in some areas, but, in the end, I am still left feeling that we are still friends. I believe, in my heart, that that is a sign of maturity.

7. I am gld to hear that, as our pastor, that you spend enough time with God...since you are delivering His word. Personally, I need to do more of it again.

This is extremely long, but I truly enjoyed this post! Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

I read this on Congressman Paul Ryan's FB page. It reminded me of you. You may not please all of the critics all of the time, but you are a life-changer. I respect you deeply for that. It takes courage and a strong character to do the right thing, in the face of anything that may come along.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Anonymous said...

Not sure what you are up to, but very, very glad you are relaxing and resting! You and Joelene deserve it! :)

PS...God really does have your back!