Tuesday, December 21, 2010

ALPHABET

'A AA AA AA ABLE ATTORNEY" is the first business listed in the Kenosha Yellow Pages. There is either something very obnoxious or something very clever about creating a business name that inevitably lists you as the first entry in the Yellow Pages, as if people routinely open the Yellow Pages the way they do a novel. Now that we have the internet, do people actually still consult the Yellow Pages?

It's the same reason Jeff Bezos named his company 'AMAZON.' But formerly clever businesses like 'Amazon" and "AAA Insurance" and "AAMCO" have now been relegated to page two of the Yellow Pages, due to the ultra-ornery-ness of businesses like "AAAABA About Recovery."


I probably just have a personal 'thorn' when it comes to this. I'm a "T." That means I remember being near the end of every line in grade school and high school. The only three behind me were Kid 'Thomas,' Kid 'Williams' and Kid 'Young.' Now our eldest married daughter has even worsened her lot by going from 'Taylor' to 'Thulin.'


But here's the larger question. What I wonder is: Who, exactly, invented alphabetical order? Ever thought about that? I mean, why does M come before P? Who said? It kind of ticks me off.


So, I'm proposing a new order to the Alphabet, based loosely on Scrabble, because everyone knows that's the coolest word game there is. Pass it around:

T N R L S D G C M W P B H F Y V K J X Q Z E I A O U


And be blessed.

3 comments:

Darren said...

I was and am an 'L'-middle of the alphabet. I'm also a middle child. I live in the Midwest. My favorite color? Gray. 'A's may have been at the front of the line, but 'T' got to be at the end...far away from the teacher. 'L's...or middles, got neither. While the 'A's walked confidently with their nose pointed right up at the teacher, the 'T's got to wreak havoc in the back of the line--all while the 'L's had to drag the 'T's along to keep up with the 'A's. And once in a while, when you thought you had it all figured out, the teacher would reverse the line order and let the last be first (how biblical of them) but alas...the middle remains...the middle.

The middle is...hot or cold?...nay, the middle, is lukewarm. The middle is room temperature. Comfortable. Average. Consistent. Happy Medium. Tall, Grande Venti? No! I'll take a medium.

I love the middle.

PK's BLOG said...

YOU'RE SUCH A "MALCOM."

Anonymous said...

Lol...Darren...I like your post! I am a "middle of the road" type of person, too. In so many ways. :)

PK..you have the most curious mind I have ever known! Who else would have looked at the phone book...lol? Sometimes, you just make me smile at the stuff you think of.

Growing up, I was an S...then I married and became a C. The funny thing is...I don't really want to be first...I like blending in with the crowd. It suits me. I think that part of me, Jesus would like just fine. :)