Friday, September 10, 2010

MESSAGE

If God's chosen medium for His message was the person of Jesus Christ, and the church is the representative body of Christ today, that means God has chosen the church to extend His revelation in the 21st century.

The very reason the church exists is to embody and proclaim the good news of God's Kingdom. In that way, the church is not here for us. We ARE the church and we are here for the world. The church is straightforwardly an extension - the expression - of the Gospel. It is a direct reflection of Jesus.

WE ARE THE MESSAGE.

Yes. In all our hypocrisy and imperfection, in all our giftedness and hope, in all our brokenness and messy-ness, in all our faith and love, in all our pride and self-righteousness, in all our grace and gratitude ...

WE ARE THE MESSAGE.

It is a great mystery that God would choose such a plan -- a frail, failing, inconsistent medium to embody His shining message. Is it possible that God chose a collection of bent and bruised hearts to bear the message of reconciliation and redemption because that is a message in and of itself?

Whatever God's reason, we should not confuse this idea with a demand for perfection. Such a goal only breeds greater hypocrisy. Instead we might seek, by God's grace, to become communities of humility, repentance, authenticity and hope.

Humility. That we are all beggars who have been gifted with food and invited to bring that food to others.

Repentance. That we gain the courage to admit our weaknesses and acknowledge our proclivity to wound others -- and seek reconciliation.

Authenticity. That we bring our grievances forward with an honesty and an openness for correction.

Hope. That in spite of tragedy and trauma we maintain a stubborn confidence that there is a greater story at work - a story that does not deny the painful realities of life, but interprets them in light of the story's ending ... an ending where crying turns to laughter and despair becomes joy.

By living this way, WE ARE THE MESSAGE.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev - this dead-on fits my message this sunday on our mission/purpose at Life Church. May I quote this? Thanks, brother. Mark Roggensack - Life Church Gurnee

PK's BLOG said...

OF COURSE, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Last night I watched a special on 9/11 and afterwards, I felt so disconcerted and rather sad for all of the horror and death. I do hope that many were able to turn to the Lord in those monents before dying....much as the thief on the cross next to Jesus did. So, when I read this, I had no words to respond.

However, your message of HOPE reminds me of 9/12...when our country showed courage, love, unitedness, patriotism and the true heroes were too numerous to count.

I find myself being a decent representative of Jesus and His message. I see the ways I could improve, though, so it truly is hard to see myself as one of the Saints, when I know who I am. I'm just a regular person, with questions, doubts, insecurities...and yet strong values and a loving heart.

I know if God can use me, when I have had no distictive accomplishments in life...TO DATE...there is the HOPE part. He can use anyone.

My personal message is this: let's get back to our Judeo-Christian roots and back to values, morals, decency and the Golden Rule. Let's love others and extend a hand to help when we are able. Let's use our own transparency to let others know that YES, God loves us and accepts us, in spite of our pasts, if we turn to Him and believe in Jesus as our Savior. We all have a past...repent, yes, but don't hide. Your honesty could be the word someone needs to break free of their own sin and turn to God.