Friday, May 7, 2010

SPIRIT

If you weren't part of the leadership meeting this past Sunday evening, there is still one day to vote at left on the CHURCH VALUES POLL. Consult the May 2nd blog for more context.


I am an eternal optimist when it comes to the church. While it is true that some would say the light of the American church is barely flickering - even nearly extinguished - I still believe the church is alive and well and is the hope of the world today.

Having said that, in many circles we are selling out to the kingdom and values of this world. While most people see that as some kind of a problem, few know what to do about it. And many of those who do run toward the wrong solutions.

The work of the Holy Spirit is absolutely vital to our situation today. Of course, He is always vital, but perhaps especially now. After all, if the Holy Spirit doesn't move, we will not produce genuine fruit, no matter how much effort or money we expend. The church becomes irrelevant when it becomes merely a human invention. We are not all we were made to be when everything in our lives and churches can be explained apart from the work and presence of God's Spirit.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just happen to be reading a book about the Holy Spirit right now. It is called: Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit by Francis Chan.

I highly recommend Chan's books. He has such valuable insights and his work is relevant to today's culture.

One of the reasons I chose this book, was because I sometimes forget that I don't do it all in my own strength. I think that since I have free will, I also have to make the right decisions and then DO what God wants from me... all on my own. Thanks for the reminder to rely on the Holy Spirit to help me to be the person God intends for me to be. I know from past experience that I am capable of so much more when I let Him guide me, give me strength and live thru me.

I, too, am optimistic about the church. I remember once you said that in the aftermath of 9/11, the churches were filled. There are so many things going on in our world now that I think more people will turn to the Lord. It's too bad it may take something like that, though. I wish more people would follow their curiousity that there is something more to life and seek Him now.

PK's BLOG said...

YES. I've read it. Awesome book. He's a great communicator and author both. Occasionally you may hear some "FRANCIS PHRASES" pop up on this blog as well -- along with 25 other "AUTHOR PHRASES" from some of my favorite writers. Not everything here is just "TAYLOR," though most of it is.

We may do some messages later this year or next on the Holy Spirit and Francis might pop back up on a KFA weekend. Stay tuned.

Buddy Salsman said...

The Holy Spirit and our spirit-the greatest relationship we can have. It all comes down to His Spirit and my spirit. He is speaking, am I listening? William Bennett wrote a two volume set called America, the last best hope. Yes I agree, but the best thing going on this earth is the church. The church has an offer to make and that offer is the last best hope through Jesus of Nazareth. Shall we be people of the Spirit? Let us be since that is the absolute best spirituality on the planet.