Thursday, February 11, 2010

MINISTRY

It's not original with me, but it was so good and so what I feel many days, that I couldn't resist posting it. From someone I often read named Tony Morgan:

"I miss being in ministry. Up until twelve years ago, I was engaged in a marketplace leadership role that looks very different from my role today. I used to interact with folks on a daily basis who were searching for hope and healing and purpose in their lives but didn’t know where to find it. I used to have influence in my marketplace role that allowed me to connect with sharp people outside the church. I used to be able to bring a Biblical influence to the real world. Then, one day, I walked away from ministry. I took a leadership role in the church, and my influence changed. Now, I no longer get to hangout with “normal” people. Most of my life is spent with people who think and believe like me. I no longer get to directly influence the lives of leaders outside the church. The title “pastor” shuts down conversations. I don’t get to do life with people outside the faith. For the most part, my life revolves around people who have already committed their lives to Christ. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not second-guessing my calling. I wouldn’t go back. I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing. But let’s face it … this really isn’t ministry. I encourage God’s people to do ministry, but I’m not really in ministry. I challenge church leaders to embrace new methods of outreach, but I’m not directly engaged in outreach. I get tastes of it now and then, but it’s not the primary pattern of my life. I’m mainly with Christ-followers. That’s not real ministry. The vast majority of people in the church are still called to ministry. They’re not called to do what I do. I just wanted to admit that there are times when I’m jealous of those who are still in ministry."

Be thankful for the place God has put you in society. Even if it's hard some days, know that HE has landed you there, perfectly positioned to reach people for Him right where you are ... in the ministry.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have resigned myself to the fact that I seem to be watering the seeds in people's minds, but, to my knowledge, only one person came to know Christ because of something I said and did. I would love to have you come hang out with my friends at work for a week and let them really get to know you. Then, they would see that you are a pretty normal person. Many of my friends and family have this idea of church that isn't always flattering, but our church isn't like that. And you aren't like that, which is nice. I'm pretty sure that you would be more effective in getting them to try coming to church than I seem to be. :) All that said, they seem to like me just fine, in spite of the fact that I am a Christian, so I suppose I am doing something right in representing Jesus. I hope so, anyway.

The other comment that I will make is this...Thank God you read a lot...and venture out of your little ivory tower. :) You seem to be a pretty "aware" pastor. That's one of the things I like best about you...you are not status-quo and you don't seem to feel it's necessary to do everything the way everyone else does it. It's refreshing. There should be more people like that, in general...in church and out.

Just on a less serious note...it would be slightly amusing to see you hang out in my "real world" for a week. I actually would probably get a kick out of that...seeing you deal with my friends and family. I'm not sure...it might make you miss what you have...lol. :)

PK's BLOG said...

don't worry about watering vs. Planting vs. Harvesting. Just ask God for open doors, be available and faithful and leave every result to Him.

Navy Chief said...

when I was a baby Christian, I told God I wanted to be a Missionary and go out to the African bush. He informed me that I already was a Missionary...all of us are. He told me my place would not be overseas, that He had something for me right here...fortunately He waited a few more years to let me in on what it was...the wilds of Africa would be a lot friendlier than where He placed me....politics (Does he have a sense of humor or what!)