Saturday, December 26, 2009

DAY AFTER

It's the day AFTER Christmas.

Sure, I really loved all the cool things that showed up under the tree -- a cool globe, some electronic stuff, a sweater, gift certificates, books, cologne, etc ... but the greatest moment of the day was sitting at the dinner table with the whole family -- wife, three daughters, two sons-in-law and grandbaby. You can't beat that.

We did a family devo together that you might use for your family if you see fit.

First, we each made a personal list of the most important people in our lives (If you do this, I'm not talking about your personal banker or dentist, unless you have some kind of close/weird relationship with them -- or unless, of course, your banker or dentist is actually your spouse!). Then we encouraged one another to tell the people on their list - before the holiday season was over - how much they meant to us. If you’re an adult, it’s possible that it’s been a very long time since you’ve told your brothers or sisters or mom or dad or children how much you love and appreciate them. If you’re a student, when was the last time you told your parents? And if you’re married, maybe it’s been awhile since you’ve even told your spouse.

Second, we each made a list of INTANGIBLE GIFTS we could give to each person on our list. I’m not talking about giving Spiderman collectibles, or the latest gadgets --- ipods --- X-Boxes --- pot holders or hand-towels for the guest bathroom … I’m talking about something far more personal. Something non-material. There is something FREE you can give to each one on your list …
… a smile …
… a hug …
… a pep-talk …
… a compliment …
… a word of encouragement …
… an apology.

Ask yourself, “What does this person need most? What can I say to them? What can I do for them? How can I give them a lift?"

There is a story about a missionary schoolteacher in Africa who had been teaching her students about Christmas. She told them how people in America give gifts to one another. A few days later one of her African students brought her a gift — a beautiful seashell. She asked him where he got it and he said, 'I walked to the beach and picked it out for you.'

The school was several miles from the ocean, so she knew it had been a long walk for him. She said, 'You shouldn't have gone so far to get a gift for me.'

The student said, 'The long walk was part of the gift.'

Something INTANGIBLE.

Third, we made a wish list - a prayer list - for each person on our list. There are few things in life like hearing someone say they wish the best for you. This holiday season, I challenge you to make it a point to tell each one of the people on your list what your prayer for them is.
And … say it in the most uplifting way possible. For example, don’t say, “My prayer for you is that you stop being a lazy bum.” There’s a better way to phrase that … “My prayer is that you discover God’s mission for your life.” Way better. That doesn’t mean when one of your loved ones says to you this season, “My prayer is that you discover God’s mission for your life,” that they’re really saying, "I think you're a lazy bum!"

Over the years, some of the greatest things I have treasured – and many I have kept till this day – are the cards and letters from people who wanted me to know they were praying for me. That meant more to me than I can say.

If you’ll take the time to pray for the people in your life, two things will happen.
1) You’ll strengthen that person.
2) You’ll strengthen your relationship to that person.

Of all the Christmas treasures you could receive this season – it isn't the piece of jewelry that will bring you lasting joy --- it isn't the new iphone or computer that will bring you any sense of peace or comfort ---- the digital camera won’t do anything beyond snap good pictures.

It is the people ... the people you love most ... the people who surround you daily --- the people you sit and eat at table with --- the people who bring you the most joy. How we relate to them will determine what kind of Christmas all of us have.

If you want a GREAT Christmas — if you want to experience the treasure of Christmas the way God intended it — then make an effort to connect on a deeper level with the people you love --- your family --- your children --- your spouse. And all week --- this whole month --- this year --- take the opportunity to tell them what they mean to you, give them something intangible, give thanks to God for them, and pray for them.

And enjoy.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Dr Phil said...

Since I am spending my days as a Personal Banker, I find nothing wrong with making your Personal Banker one of those important people in your life!!

PK's BLOG said...

LOL. Very true.

Anonymous said...

PK...I think I will do what my daughter did for me one Christmas. She wrote me a beautiful letter from her heart and framed it with pictures of the two of us together like a collage. I know you and your daughters did this as well. I think I will write one for each of my kids and my Mom and Dad. I think they would all love it, but I think it will touch my Dad even more, because for 40 years of my life he lived away from us. My parents got divorced when I was 8 yrs old and Mom moved us to another state. He has been here a year and I love getting to know him again. I am reminded what a good heart he has. I get some of my best qualities from him. He taught me to be honest and to have good values when I was a young child. When I was in my formative years he and a Grandpa figure in my early life, Carl, taught me how to love, because they loved me unconditionally. They both made me feel wanted and special. There are certain special people in my life that I will never, ever forget...and you, PK, are one of those people. Lots of love to you! :) Kathy