Sunday, November 1, 2009

MILITANT

In Matthew 16:18, Peter confesses that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God and Jesus gives Peter a new name. He calls him a rock. Then Jesus says, "On this rock" -- and we understand that to mean on the rock of this kind of faith, “I will build My church ... and the gates of hell will not prevail against it."

We describe this principle as the ‘church militant.’ We don't hear that expression very much, but it’s a great one – the church MILITANT, victoriously standing against the gates of hell. This is huge. We often think of the church as being all huddled together in a little fortress while the powers of hell rage all around us. But Jesus turns that picture UPSIDE DOWN. He says hell is the kingdom that's huddled together behind iron gates and locked doors. And Jesus says, 'Here comes the church,' and He’s out front leading it and building it and He is battering the gates of hell. Jesus comes, and He is claiming human beings for Himself from the kingdom of darkness who would otherwise be separated from Him forever. He is saying: ‘That one over there – who will separate Me from THAT one? And this one here --- who will separate Me from THIS one?’ He is passionately reclaiming the people He loves … and the gates of hell are being battered by the power of Jesus and His church.

That's our mission … to batter the gates of hell ... to find people who otherwise would be lost for eternity --- apart from God --- and help them get to Christ. That’swhywe’rehere.

This is serious business. It’s not a game. Heaven and hell are as real as it gets.
Are you willing to be salt for somebody in your circle of influence?
Are you willing to share your faith with somebody?
Are you willing to pray for somebody?

THAT is the church militant. And God is calling our church (www.kenoshafirst.com) to it and we're going to respond. We're going to pray and we’re going to see God move in amazing ways this coming year. We're going to fall on our knees and beg God for a mighty outpouring of His power, and we're going to reach out to people all around us -- people we work with, people we shop with, people we play with, our neighbors, our family, our friends.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful that Jesus came for me. Most of my family are not saved, though. I hope that they all come to know Christ, but my heart is heavy for my 2 grown kids. I love them so much and the thought of them going to Hell breaks my heart. I pray for them and I have talked to them about salvation, but they aren't ready.

What would you do if you were in my situation, PK? Or if anyone who reads this blog has any suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Listening you talk about Hell yesterday was very so unbearably horrible. That is not the destiny I want for them. I want to live with them in Heaven and have them know the joy of being with Jesus in eternity.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking more about it and I remembered a book that a friend from church had spoken of. At first I couldn't remember who wrote it, but it is Arni Jacobson. It is called 5 Keys to Reaching Your Family For Christ. I am ordering it from Amazon.com. Also, I think I might fast this weekend and pray about it.

I just thought I would mention it for anyone else out there who has family or friends who don't know Christ.

PK's BLOG said...

Interesting - about Arni. He has his roots here in our church, including this being the place he gave his life to Christ. In his latest book - it might be the one you're referring to - he mentions our church and talks about the Stanich family in one whole chapter near the end.
Enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Yes...it was actually Joan Stanich that mentioned it. I am going to check our bookstore first and see how much it costs before I order it from Amazon.