Saturday, October 31, 2009

PRE

Ever felt like a complete idiot? I'm sure you have. :)

I did today.

I went to get a new phone. This is something I do about once every 27 years. But it was time. My last one weighed about 8 pounds and was awkward to carry in my pocket. It made me tilt to one side.

So anyway, I went to the store to get a new one. My contract was up and it was time. The guy at the counter was about 16-and-a-half (looking) and his name was SHAI. There ya go.

He tried to explain the ins-and-outs of the new phone - what it would do (wifi - GPS - itunes library - scramble an egg) - what it wouldn't do (it will do everything except file my taxes for me). He was giving me a tutorial of the phone - flipping around on the keypad - touching the screen with lightning speed - all the while talking, expecting me to follow along. I nodded my head and said 'yeah' and 'sure thing' a lot, but otherwise, I was clueless. My wife was standing nearby and she, being much more versed in all this stuff than I, asked appropriate questions and basically made sure I didn't totally glaze over during the conversation.

So I've been sitting here for the past 3 hours trying to figure out my new Palm Pre. I know how to turn it on so far. Tomorrow I'm going to try to actually place a call on it.

On a side note - here are the results of the 'most annoying word/phrase' survey. YAHOO! told us it was 'whatever.' My readers did not quite agree. Our results were:
"Like" - 46%
"Whatever" - 31%
"You know" - 13%
"Totally" - 8%

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love how the biggest selling points of a PHONE are everything but the actual calling. I'd like a phone that is just a great phone. That's it. I'm a simple girl when it comes to my phone. Is that so hard? Bells and whistles can be a turn off. I wonder if the phone companies ever consider that?