Wednesday, November 4, 2009

MESSY

It doesn't really matter what a church is right about if it is wrong about its relationship with God. God is more interested in the heart of a church than He is with its size or intellect. He is far less impressed by our ability to debate church structure or theology than He is with our willingness to touch those around us.

Our programs are not sacred. Our church is not sacred. What is sacred is the mission. You are called to shine a light and demonstrate God's love and grace to anyone who needs it. Our mission is not to preserve the church as it presently exists in its forms and models --- our mission is to be the church.

It's amazing when you think about it. If people looking in from the outside really knew your story - or mine - they'd probably question how we got this role. Even so, God has chosen us in spite of our messiness, or very possibly because of it. All along He has planned this thing called the church so we could send a collective message to a generation that needs to know Him. We are in this together only because God put us together to show how much He cares for a broken world, of which we are a part. That's His plan and only He could have thought of it.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the longest time I thought I had to be perfect in the church. I wanted to fit in and make friendships and have my friends love me...like we all do. Lately, I am meeting friends who accept me and love me in spite of my messy past. Like one friend said, we ALL have pasts. I am just trying to make a brighter future with Jesus in my life. So far, it's working well! :) PS...I love my church FAMILY! It's nice to have a place where I feel that I belong.