Tuesday, May 12, 2009

KNOWLEDGE

Our staff was discussing a great book today called "POP GOES THE CULTURE." In it, author Tim Stevens says:

'Our problem is not our hearts. It is not our intentions. We are just ignorant. We don't mean to be ignorant, but we are. We have a disease called, "The Curse of Knowledge."

We are cursed with church knowledge. We know the basics of the Bible. We know where park our car in order to exit quickly. We know where the bathrooms are located. We know the songs. We know when we're supposed to clap after songs and when we should be reflective. We know what the pastor means when he says, "Just as in the days of Noah ... " We know God is faithful AND all things work together for good AND sometimes God answers prayers by telling us to wait AND when God closes a door He sometimes opens a window AND a thousand other slogans that look good on bumper stickers but mean nothing to people who do not know.

The problem is we have no memory of what it is not to know. And so our churches, led by people plagued with the curse of knowledge, provide experiences and design services that feel right to people who know stuff but totally miss the boat when it comes to people who don't.

The curse of knowledge keeps us from being able to see that we are not communicating. You say, "I'm speaking in English. Everyone in my community understands English. I'm speaking their language. Right?" Not necessarily. Speaking the right language is more than the words that are spoken. It is about context, timing, previous experience, and culture. Speaking the right language is about understanding filters.

Think about it. Someone who was raised in an abusive environment does not understand when you talk about loving parents. They have a family filter that is different from yours. Someone who was abandoned by a parent might strongly believe you are damaging your children if you spank them. Their parenting filter dictates their behavior and judgment.'

So that just gives me a ton of food for thought about how we DO things and SAY things.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have always understood you....with NO real background in the church. And I ended up respecting you more than anyone else there. You are real enough to relate to, but deep enough to learn from. All I could hope from a pastor and teacher of the gospel. To be honest, I STILL don't know all of the rules and the bible, but I know my heart is right with God, so it's all good. Part of the fun and excitement of my journey is that I know I don't have all of the answers and I have so far to go...it's all exciting to me! I will never,ever get to the end of God and how great is that! :) He always awes and amazes me and shapes me and my character...each and every day...and I am so grateful that He cares.

OK...I am officially mad...Danny is out on American Idol. I just heard it. I AM so done with this show...lol. KRIS IS not better than Danny in any way shape or form. OK...I'll be quiet now. Adam has it the bag.

Unknown said...

Perhaps because I was saved so late in life I can never forget what it was like before. I am so grateful that God would save me after all those years of sin against Him. What a love story, and it happens over and over again.
Maybe we should have little round table discussions to remind ourselves where we were headed before God stepped in. Then our knowledge might be over-ruled by the heart. We have to love, that's non-negotiable. If we're too good to help the lost, we're really no good at all. Just my opinion.

KMB said...

Loved the blog - love the comments. Miss live conversations...really aware of that this last Sunday. Knew I needed to check out your "spot" just to hear you talk. Glad it's been a gradual weaning process rather than cold turkey, but still miss the old, old, old days because of the dialogue.
I'm with anonymous regarding Idol...but just wonder if Kris' voting block might possibly get him all the way to the top!! What a wild thing THAT would be! Danny will do great things - and be blessed. Saw an ad for "how Christianity has influenced American Idol"...interesting. Didn't get to see the actual program whenever it was, whoever did it - kind'a would have liked to have seen that - Anyway - glad you blog.

KMB said...

Loved the blog - love the comments. Miss live conversations...really aware of that this last Sunday. Knew I needed to check out your "spot" just to hear you talk. Glad it's been a gradual weaning process rather than cold turkey, but still miss the old, old, old days because of the dialogue.
I'm with anonymous regarding Idol...but just wonder if Kris' voting block might possibly get him all the way to the top!! What a wild thing THAT would be! Danny will do great things - and be blessed. Saw an ad for "how Christianity has influenced American Idol"...interesting. Didn't get to see the actual program whenever it was, whoever did it - kind'a would have liked to have seen that - Anyway - glad you blog.