Saturday, March 14, 2009

OVERAGE FATHERS


One of the newest trends in America today is that of 'old new dads.' Our LAST child, Olivia, was born when I was 31. I'm expecting my first grandchild - a BOY, as it turns out (finally!) - in August, one month before I turn 50.

That said, the thing that people like Senator Strom Thurmond, opera singer Luciano Pavarotti, actor Charlie Chaplin, rocker Mick Jagger and financier Rupert Murdoch have in common are that they all fathered children after the age of 55. Not GRANDchildren ---- CHILDREN. Moreover, if you exclude Mick Jagger, who fathered a child MERELY at age 55, all the others did it after the age of 65. Thurmond and Murdoch were actually past 70.

There is a growing group of men in America who take painkillers and then go out and toss the ball in the front yard with their 7-year olds.

In 1980, only 1 in 23 births were to men over age 50. In 2002, it grew to 1 in 18. The ratios continue to shrink. Having a dad who is 62 at a son's high school graduation is no longer uncommon.

One reason for that is divorce. Men re-marry faster than women and what is being called "Do-Over Dads" is resulting in later births.

Another reason, of course, is both biology and success. Men can physically father children until very late in life; they have more access to younger women, and are more likely to have the means to support children in the later seasons of life.

The up-side is older men are more comfortable with themselves, more patient overall, more 'set' financially, more relaxed and interested in family life than they might have been while scrambling early in their careers. They are wiser and more reflective with their children and as they begin to realize their own mortality, they tend to focus more appreciatively on their kids.

It is certainly going to impact some of the ways we do ministry in the 21st century. So, is it BETTER to be an "Old New Dad" or a "Young New Dad?" I honestly don't know. I'm just glad I'm NOT one. What do you think?

But ... YOU GO, GUYS!

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...My ex-husband is one of those newer dads. He has 2 young gilrs now and our kids are 24 and 28, respectively. I am glad it is him and not me! I was a stay-at-home MOm, so I did most of the work, but he is a good Dad, too. He is a good man and I am SO happy for him...and myself! We are in a good place in our lives and I have MANY happy memeories with our family.

SO, MR PK...are yo usaying that a woman who is 47 is not likely to get remarried??? Just joking! I have Jesus, everything else is icing on the cake! :)

Anonymous said...

By the way....congrats on the grandson! I am so very happy for and Joelene! I know what it feels like. I have an almost 2 yr. old granddaughter, Jillian. SO....do we have a future little Pastor on our hands? Who knows...God does! :) Congrats Whitney and Sam!!!

Love you guys!

Lol..are you gonna name him Kevin Scott? JK! Do you have any idea for names? Probably not yet. :)

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Children are a blessing anytime, until the can walk & talk (back). you still love them but that's where God is depended upon most. I'm over 60 and wish my wife and I could have had a child of our own. As it stands it's mine & hers... and ours at this late date would still been wonderful. A true Blessing.