Sunday, March 15, 2009

FENCE


I've been thinking a lot about rules & regulations since we've been in this weekend series on Romans.

It seems we create fences that go around God's fences. Our reason for making them, we say, is so we don't get close to falling over the edge of sin. God's fences aren't good enough evidently so we create our own ... better ... safer fences. In other words, we 'help God out.'

L. Osborne insists that these man-made fences not only fail to protect us from sin, they actually increase the odds that we'll clamber over one of the fences. They also scare off the very people we're trying to reach.

So what we're trying to do is keep the bar as low as Jesus kept it. No lower; no higher. We try to avoid presenting cultural values, traditions and extra-Bibical rules and regulations as if they're on par with Scripture when they're not.

Because God got the Bible right the first time. He didn't goof that up. And all our extra fences are not only unnecessary, they're harmful.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have any man-made fences in my life, but I need to give it deeper thought. What I DO know is that when I follow the 10 Commandments and the bible's teachings there are a few certain sins that I am prone to. Other things don't pose a problem in any way. I think we all have areas to deal with.

Anyway, one thing I have discovered in my life to help me resolve those sins is to pray about them often and ask for the Holy Spirit to help me. That helps me immensely. The other thing I have begun to do in the last few weeks is to fast. It is easier to give up a certain "sin" for a period of time than to look at the whole rest of my life and get overwhelmed by it all. For instance, at work sometimes I talk about co-workers who do not do their job...that is gossip, and is a sin. So, what I do is to decide to FAST from gossip for a month and see how it goes. When I DO catch myself gossiping, then I repent right away and pray and do better next time. When I take it one day at a time, then I have a chance to build on my success and, of course, God ALWAYS helps me. I have heard from many sources that fasting is very powerful.

I am starting a 2 day fast starting today, in fact! I am so excited! Two days to just pray and read the bible thoughout my day and just draw so much closer to God. Just the thought of how that will be makes me want to fast more often. I always thought that the days when I actually do observe the Sabbath and spend my day with God, that it is so very fulfilling...kind of the same thing.

Anyway, God's fences are good enough for me, but I am not perfect, so I need a PLAN to help me stay in God's fences, too. My life just works better when I do it God's way, not the worlds.