Monday, October 27, 2008

WORLDVIEW


Not long ago I had someone ask me if I preach Paul's Gospel or Jesus' Gospel. I was like, "Ummm ... huh?" I thought Jesus' Gospel WAS Paul's Gospel. There are TWO GOSPELS? (Actually, there are FOUR) ... but enlighten me, OK?" Truthfully, I think I know what they meant by the question, but I played dumb, as much to be ornery as anything probably.

The other thing I'm sometimes asked is: "Do you teach a Biblical worldview at your church?" I've heard other pastors answer this question by saying: "Oh sure. We have missionaries speak in our services several times a year. We have summer missions trips for families that are a big hit. We work hard to insure our people know the American church is not the sum total of God's work in the world. Blah, blah, blah."

Another pastor might say: "We preach thru the entire Bible every five years. We have all our teaching venues lined up to focus on the same passages, so by the time we're thru the cycle, they've been exposed to all the basic principles of Christianity and have a biblical worldview." (Sorry -- yawn.)

But -- I THINK -- a Biblical worldview is helping people think like JESUS. What did HE talk about? What did HE think about? Where did HE go? What did HE do? It is a way of making our faith practical to every situation we face each day. We ACT like Jesus 24/7 because we THINK like Jesus 24/7 -- or at least 18/7 -- we have to sleep SOMETIME.

EVERYBODY has a worldview. Our moment-to-moment decisions are shaped by the worldview we have adopted and adapted to over time, often without realizing we have done so. When we make a decision, we subconsciously run it thru mental and emotional filters that allow us to make the choices we do. That FILTER is the result of how we have organized information to make sense of the world in which we live.

Without a worldview, we'd be incapable of arriving at the hundreds of decisions we make every week because every option would seem just as appealing as every other. But a BIBLICAL worldview is a means of experiencing, interpreting and responding to reality in light of BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVE.

At the risk of sounding passe and extremely 1990's -- it is asking the question: "WWJD if He were in my shoes right now?" and then applying the answer without compromise, irregardless of how you anticipate the world reacting. (Don't know what "WWJD" means? C'MON! You have to GOOGLE IT if you don't know. Don't know what "GOOGLE IT" means? I'm giving up on you. I'm not even going to TELL you. Wow!)

Our KFA goal: Developing, instilling, marketing and multiplying a BIBLICAL WORLDVIEW in our congregation.

And be blessed.

No comments: