Wednesday, August 27, 2008

PASSION

There is, or used to be, in south central Minnesota, the world's largest ball of twine. I've heard it's been moved to another location, but it USED to be about 30 minutes from where Joelene and I lived for 9 years. Sitting in a round, metal barn. That ball of twine was 40 feet in circumference and weighed more than nine tons. If you unrolled it, it would have stretched 1,500 miles. That's halfway across America. Kind of like the big ball chasing Harrison Ford down that corridor in "Indiana Jones." Only bigger.

And you might be saying about now: "Well, my goodness ... isn't that ... unique?!" And you would be wrong about that. There is a town in Kansas that claims to have the TRUE largest ball of twine - and another one in California - and several other towns racing to lay hold of the title: Home of America's Largest Ball of Twine. Whatever.

But no matter what else you may say about such a pursuit, you HAVE to be impressed by the PASSION of those who give their lives to rolling a huge ball of twine. Don't you? What is there inside a person that would motivate them to spend all their spare time for fifty years accumulating twine? Wait. Don't answer that.

For that matter, what keeps YOU from getting out of bed every morning to do what you've done for the past ten years? You might say, "Well, THAT is entirely different!" Is it?

Most of us do what we HAVE to do - not from passion, but from obligation.

Marriages begin with passion. We believe the honeymoon will go on forever.
Faith begins with passion. We believe the spiritual mountaintop will never topple over.

Why can't we have that passion every day of our lives? If we could package passion, we'd be rich. I am completely convinced that LIFE is meant to be lived with joy, fulfillment, excitement and purpose. And that when we live with passion, we honor God powerfully - because THAT is when we resemble HIM most. He created us passionately. His love for us has never worn down.

Has YOURS worn down?

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have felt absolutely head over heels in love with the Lord so many times. Then, I have other days when I felt more disconnected. For me, the more I become involved with the things of the world...job, unsaved family and friends, too many activites...it reduces my focus on God. That's why I think that for me, having a Sabbath is vital to my personal relationship with Jesus. It gives me a chance to recharge my batteries and connect in a deeper way. There is nothing like those mountaintop experiences with God. I live for those. I also find that being out in nature..amidst the sunshine, flowers, birds, butterflies, blue skies and fluffy, white clouds fills me with wonder at the beauty that God created. I get in some of my best God time on solitary walks.

All that said, I am experiencing a lull. I think Friday night, I am going to really focus on my Lord and really talk to Him and listen to what He has to say to me, too. I crave those times. I NEED those times.

Anonymous said...

Last night I went for a walk and prayed and thought. Then, I spent the evening focused on the Lord. This morning, I feel more centered. I really did need some time with Him. It's nice spending time with family, but I have come to the conclusion that I need to jealously guard my time with God. I need to make that a priority, because I miss Him very much when I don't just speak to Him from my heart each day and spend enough time with Him. I can't wait for church tomorrow!