Wednesday, July 9, 2008

CAR DOOR


I have this CAR. I know, as a pastor, I shouldn't be driving around in something with 'nothing but three letters for a name' -- something so hoity-toity, as some describe it, but it's my only vice ... and it's ten years old -- and it has 100,000 miles on it -- and it's in the shop half the time. So ...

Anyway ... the other day -- (and this is SO the story of my life that I could write a 40 chapter book on stuff like this that happens to me) --- I'm getting in it and "CLUNK!" - the door handle comes off right in my hand. The metal part snaps right in two. I looked down and couldn't believe my eyes. I was HOLDING my door handle in my palm. So I had no way to get in other than to crawl thru the other side, which I did for two days - with my 6'5" tall legs and all.

Then, I called the repair guy to see when the part was going to be in and while we were talking he mentioned to me that if I just hold down the 'unlock' part of my keyless entry device for five seconds, the windows will all come down automatically on that car.
"So?" I said.
"Well," he said back, "if you put your windows down then you can reach thru your driver's side door and open it from the outside so you won't have to crawl thru from the passenger side, Dork!" (except he didn't say 'dork,' he was just obviously THINKING it).

So I said, "Wow! Great tip. Thanks." (except I didn't really say "WOW!" Apparently, "WOW! is so lame these days, my daughter tells me, so I'm trying to cut that from my vocabulary so I can be more 'cool' or 'rad' or 'phat' or 'whatever.')

That helped me the past couple of days as I reached thru the open window and released the latch from the outside. And then today ... I'm doing the very same entry routine and I reach in to release the door latch and lo and behold, the INSIDE door handle comes off in my hand.

Now I can't get IN or OUT of my fancy hoity-toity without crawling thru the passenger side door, unless I want to do "Dukes of Hazzard" and jump in thru the driver's side window. But I know I'll kill myself. (Refer to paragraph 2, parenthetical sentence, above).
I just thought you might want to know what was going on in 'a day in the life of PK.' I'm not sure WHY, but ...

Be blessed.

5 comments:

Darren said...

I want to say something like, "I can't even believe that!?" or "No way! There is no way that happened! You are totally making that up!" But unfortunately, after all that has happened, I am saying to myself, "yeah, that seems about right."

My brother is looking at a 5 series or a 7 series around the same year as yours and I've shared a few of your "experiences" with him - I can't wait to pass this gem along.

PK's BLOG said...

It was a FREAK thing!!! :)

Wendy said...

Ok, now THAT is funny!! I think I could write a book similar to yours. I was hit by a 'crazy hit & run granny' just this week. Maybe we could make it a series? LOL
See you soon!
WG

PK's BLOG said...

Let's definitely collaborate on that when you get here. :)

LA Nickers said...

Gotta say "WOW" . . . cause I am so uncool.

MY PRETEEN THINKS I’M UNCOOL