Thursday, April 17, 2008

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

Still reflecting on the tragedy of Cpl. Richard "Ricky" J. Nelson ... and one thing is for sure. Freedom? It isn't free.

I found a poem by Sue Ikerd I'd like to share with you today:

"I lost my life at Valley Forge my hand froze to my gun,
I was but still a lad, my life had just begun,
Because we chose to bravely fight and die for liberty,
Our great nation did emerge - Freedom isn’t free.


It was spring at Chancelorsville, I fought in a field stained red,
We rallied against the foe while around us lay the dead,
I lost my life that fateful day in 1863,
To right the wrong and unite our land - Freedom isn’t free.


Poppies grow in Flanders Field, their numbers rival the dead,
Each bloom denotes a life cut short this field is now their bed,
Men fought in this foreign land from homes across the sea,
They gave their lives for their beliefs - Freedom isn’t free.


The sun shines on fields at Normandy with crosses overgrown,
Gleaming white among the rows stands mine with the word "UNKNOWN,"
My name is lost, my face forgotten, I died for lives yet to be,
That you might live in this great land - Freedom isn’t free.


I fought in trenches cold and damp, in deserts hot and dry,
In jungles dense I thought of home, as I was about to die,
Our flag still waves above our land because of men like these,
We can’t forget their sacrifice - Freedom isn’t free.


For generations they’ve stepped forth, left home and family,
Some served on land, some in air and some served on the sea,
They pledged to preserve, protect and defend our sacred liberty,
So evil would fail and right prevail - Freedom isn’t free.


Thousands fought through the years so our country could survive,
To secure the blessings of liberty for those who are now alive,
You may march and protest you have the right to disagree,
But remember the blood that bought this right - Freedom isn’t free."

Be blessed.

No comments: