Saturday, April 19, 2008

CAR SHOPPING

Today was the second Saturday in a row that I spent the bulk of the day driving from used car place to used car place trying to find a vehicle for my youngest daughter, who is 17 years old. Last Saturday we searched down south in Illinois -- today we went north toward Milwaukee. We want to be wise about what we get her -- nothing too expensive because (well, you know) -- and nothing overly inexpensive because (well, you know). Still, what we're looking for is a whole lot closer to INexpensive than it is to EXpensive. So, we (I mean, I) have searched the internet and the newspaper ads and the local used car magazines to find what's out there - then we set the GPS and off we go.

And I'm finding that our daughter is VERY VERY picky. I have no clue how she comes by that characteristic. Something is wrong with everything. Here are some actual statements she has made over these two days of car hunting ...

"Is it supposed to make that noise?"

"What's that smell?"

"There's some rust on the bumper."

"Why is every car in this price range green or purple?"

"Where is the CD changer?"

"Can't we find a car that doesn't have any scratches?"

"Ewww."

"Do you see that stain on the floor?"

"I'm pressing the pedal all the way down and this is as fast as it goes?"

"Where is the cigarette lighter?" (DAD: 'Why? Why would you care if there is a cigarette lighter -- you don't smoke, do you? I hope you're not smoking!' HER: 'No Dad.' [quiet sigh] 'I don't smoke.' DAD: 'OK then.')


It's been fun.

And I was just thinking - at the risk of over-spiritualizing here - that is really what we do with each other. A lot. We find these little things that are wrong with one another - things that rub us the wrong way. Sometimes we mentally (or even visually) circle the other person to make sure they are someone we would want to know or be close to -- or not.

Maybe it's a scratch - or a dent - or a missing piece. Maybe it's a wound that is still wide open. It's a scar that hasn't healed. It's a noise that rubs the wrong way.

And then we evaluate.

But what we fail to notice - usually - are OUR scratches - OUR dents - OUR missing pieces and wounds and scars. We've grown comfortable with them - we've gotten used to them, haven't we? And yet, other people overlook them in order to love US.

I know what's going to happen when we finally get that car for my daughter. It's GOING to have a scratch here - a dent there - something soiled over here - an imperfection over there. And she's going to grow to love that car - eventually. Stains and all. Over time, those things will become part of the history and character of the car for her. She'll get USED to them. And she'll end up LOVING that car. It will be hers. And when somebody starts to trash-talk about it, she'll actually be upset.

She'll say: "Hey! That's my CAR you're talking about." And that's right. That's right.

You finish the analogy. And be blessed.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, "ain't that the truth"?! I have always appreciated your perspective - and this entry exemplifies what I've always appreciated! You encourage and provoke introspection and with the gentleness of Christ Himself - covered with copious amounts of grace!

I believe you'll find just the right car. The one that God has hidden away FOR her... not FROM her!

In faith~ beenblessed

PK's BLOG said...

Thanks "BEENBLESSED." I'm hoping God shows us that hidden car SOONER rather than LATER.

Unknown said...

;-) Be it to you according to your faith!

You'll find it when you and she can agree... just as the Word says... when any two agree...

As tedious as it may be, there is more happening than just the selection of a car (as I'm sure you're already aware). And didn't I read some entry on patience a while back......? :-)

PK's BLOG said...

Yes -- hmmm - please stop reading my blog if you're going to actually hold me accountable for the things I write. :)

Darren said...

...those feelings and comments seem strangely similar to my experience with "someone"...hmmm. Good parallels for everyday life. This is a great blog - keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Just happened upon your 'blog' this morning. Am laughing at the "car shopping" experience as well. Although Courtney and I have not actually hit the lots quite yet... we have also had many funny experiences. The other day she was driving (and I was praying in the passenger seat!) when she saw a brand new mustang convertable in front of us. She boldly claimed that THAT was going to be her first car... THIS SUMMER! But in a different color--- of course! I busted up laughing hysterically, she became upset at my response, and I quickly became very quiet and looked out the window, probably with a bright red face trying my best to hold in the rest of my hysterics! (I quickly determined that having an upset teenager behind the wheel of my mini-van was not the smartest move on my part!). She doesn't even have a job yet for goodness sakes!

Brendan on the other hand, has the same wonderful desires of having a brand new car for his first car... but he has dragged me to car lots almost monthly for about 6 years now... looking and looking and learning and learning. So at least that child understands what the sticker price is all about and knows exactly what he would get for such a price! I'm thinking by the time he gets his license he'll be much easier to car shop with!

For me... my PAID OFF 1997 mini-van with all of it's bumps/brusies is my friend. When I get in, and see each stain, each scratch, the broken electric window button, and the fact that the radio only comes on when I hit a big bump in the road just brings me back to the day each 'event' happened. Happy memories for the most part. The fact that the kids are WAY embarressed that I have to open my door to get fast food... the day the window got stuck open the first time(in a snow storm) and the kids all went into the fetal positions to keep warm... ha! Makes me laugh to this day! I pray with 'her' (my van) daily (to keep on treking!) and have loved every minute of having 'her' around these past 10-years.

Yep PK... tons of parallels to our daily walk. Thanks for sharing!