Monday, September 5, 2016

LESSON 5 - DISCOURAGEMENT

During September I'm blogging each day about one thing I've learned from 35 years of doing ministry.  Not rocket science -- just elementary tips that have served me well these three decades.

Lesson #5 - Don't dwell on discouragement.

Everybody gets discouraged.  I say that because it makes me feel better that it's everybody, not just me.  I'm a little happier when I know everybody's miserable.

But I've learned our enemy users discouragement in our lives big time.  Discouragement distracts us from our God-given vision and it detours us in fulfilling our calling.

And while it's true everybody gets discouraged, some people stay that way.  And it's important not to.

We have a small prayer room in our church lobby.  Sometimes I'll make the short walk over there from my office during the day when I need to give something to God.  I can give it to Him anywhere, but sometimes for whatever reason that small space makes it easier.

Because I know that I can't stay stuck.  I have to let God turn that around.

I know that I can't stay stuck.

To help Him, I keep a little file of cards and letters and thank yous and printed e-mails people have written me over the years.  I pull out that file whenever I need a good shot.

Here's one of those notes.  It's a short one.  It's a little unconventional, but it makes me smile and that's exactly the point.  It's a pick-me-up, if a backhanded one:

"PK, I like listening to you because when I leave I don't want to throw up in my mouth like I do with most preachers."

Ummm.  OK.  I'll take that.

Don't let discouragement get you down.

'Be strong and let your heart take courage.'  (Psalm 31:24)

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I needed, no NEEDED this one!