Tuesday, December 9, 2014

MOCKINGJAY

Yes, this blog title gives away what Joelene and I did tonight.  It's $5 Tuesdays at the movies so, there ya go.

The movie was "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1."

Could this be a candidate for our 2015 'At The Movies' series at Journey Church?  We'll see.

Either way, there were notable quotes from the movie that are worth repeating.


- 'People don't always show up the way you want them to.'  (Spoken by Head Gamemaker Heavensbee)
This is true, isn't it?  You can put your hope and trust in mortals - or you can put your confidence in One who always shows up right on time every time.

- 'The thing with revolutions is they need to be kindled.'  (Said by President Coin)
We need to keep the fire of the Kingdom stoked inside our hearts.  The flame can easily go out and with it, the soul revolution we count on to keep us pliable to the Spirit and passionate for God.

- 'Everything old can be made new again.'  (Said by President Coin to Katniss)
This is the regenerative, redemptive statement of the Bible - that 'old things are passed away, all things are become new.'

- 'Everyone will want to kiss you, kill you, or be you.'  (By Effie Trinket)
I kind of hope not in my case, in any of these three scenarios - but it's a powerful statement.

- 'It takes 10 times longer to put yourself back together than it does to fall apart.'  (Spoken by Finnick Odiar)
I wish we could all remember this line right before we do that thing we know we'll regret later.  If we can't remember this, maybe another line from the Bible would be easier to remember:  'Be sure your sins will find you out.'

- 'It's the things we love most that destroy us.'  (Said by President Snow)
Anything that comes between us and God is a killer.  "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing."  (John 6:63) 

Powerful - for a movie.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right...there are some great quotes. The ones that really stood out to me are:

'People don't always show up the way you want them to.' I can only speak for myself, but I tend to have hopes that another person will treat me the way I treat them or maybe be as open-minded as I am. Just a couple of examples. Sometimes, it is surprising and at other times it is a let-down.

'Everyone will want to kiss you, kill you, or be you.' While it is somewhat of an exaggeration, it is a great observation. Of course, many people we don't know well enough to feel strongly one way or another. But the people we know better are another story. One thing I want to point out is that I heard something years ago that I believe to be true. The opposite of love is not hate, it is apathy. When my husband and I divorced years ago, we kind of fell into that mindset where nothing really made a difference one way or another. It's hard to explain. I still felt a level of love for him. Afterall, he is the father of my children and I always wished him well. But I felt a disconnect at the time. I can assure people, though, that the love can be rekindled with some attention and effort. I would not suggest anyone get a divorce, except in the most dire of situations.

'It takes 10 times longer to put yourself back together than it does to fall apart.' Truer words were never spoken. I imagine most of agree that is true. It is the same as words of anger cannot be taken back. So many times when we lash out at someone, it is harder for them to trust us as much. It is a brick in the wall that can separate us.