Saturday, November 1, 2014

HALLOWEEN

OK.  It's over.  So now we can talk about it.

Everyone (including adults who snuck the best treats out of their children's bags when they weren't looking) have awoken with that 'not quite right feeling' in their stomachs from all the candy consumed.

Strike one for Halloween.

It's been a controversy that has ebbed and flowed over the past fifty years.  What do with Halloween and the church?

I will admit that it has been something of a personal dilemma.  I say that because the same generation (my elders) who were so adamant in their day against things like playing cards and shooting pool are the same ones I remember from my earliest days hosting big parties in the church building on Halloween night and coming dressed as Frankenstein, the Headless Horseman, Chain Saw Charlie (blood included), ghosts, etc. -- and then drinking red punch, eating sugar cookies and playing church games together.

I'm not kidding.

So my head has spun around several times on the topic.

One thing is for sure -- Halloween isn't going away.  It is now the second most lucrative holiday of the year for marketers, after Christmas.  Seventy-five percent of us will participate in some way or another in the festivities.  The other 25% will turn out their lights, presumably praying in the dark silence of their homes for the salvation of all those walking like zombies 'out there' collecting little Snickers bars and licorice.

Sorry.  I got carried away just then.  You know me.  It happens.

It's pretty much the only time of the year 150 people actually come up to your door and want something.  Usually it's the other way around.

So - I don't know if it's good or bad - you decide.  I could give a pro and con list of Scriptures that might be used to support either view.  Instead let me say that's why God gave you a brain along with the instruction to 'work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.'  

One famous preacher once said there are three options Christ-followers can choose with all the things society celebrates.  There are some things we should obviously reject.  Other things we can obviously receive.  Then there's that middle category - things we can redeem.

Until you figure out where Halloween falls in that triad, here are some random thoughts on it -- and sure, it probably would have been more helpful had I posted this two days before Halloween rather than the day after.  Call it -- well -- cowardice, basically.

-- Make it a neighborhood deal.  
Invite the entire zip code to your backyard and grill hot dogs - have hot cider - put up a big screen and show 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown' (unless you also have a theology against pumpkins -- oops, there I go again.  Sorry.)  Redeem it by building some relationships on a night people are already prone to gather, even with relative strangers in their neighborhoods.

-- Pick one family and join forces for the night.  
Travel around the neighborhood together.  Then prayerfully take the opportunity to share the Gospel in some way.  Maybe you can choose that family strategically.  You've been putting Jesus hints out there from time to time with them -- now's another opportunity to go one step deeper.

-- Share faith along with the candy.
If you're staying at home, turn on the lights!  Add a little creative message on paper about Jesus given out with the candy.

The origins of Halloween are sketchy.  Search the internet.  You'll find a hundred different ideas about where and how it all started.  Admittedly, none of them sound good.  But however it began centuries ago, the associations are now limp at best for mainstream America.  We know there are ramped up, covert celebrations of evil on Halloween in various places, most likely right in your own city.  Let's not deny that.  But we also serve a God who has forever overcome evil and who will ultimately soon destroy satan and his minions once for all.

Can we as believers counter an 'evil day' with the power and love of 'Jesus who is greater' living inside of us?  Is there an opportunity to create Godly joy and be missional - as the sent people of God - on Halloween and in a sense, hijack this holiday for the purposes of good and for the purposes of God?

I'm just asking.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this post to be interesting, in several ways. And, I like when you drift off and further elaborate (there's the PK, the regular guy, not just the pastor.)

Anyway, as my children were growing up...and now my three grandchildren...I admit, I have basically seen Halloween as a time for adorable kids to go house to house and get yummy candy. I know that the darker side is there, but I truly do believe that it is the minority. I used to live in IL and we always heard about Satanists who met in the local cemetery...spooky.

I used to sew costumes for my kids when they were very young. It was adorable to see them all dressed up, in a way that they really don't at other times of the year.

I noticed a couple of days ago that Saddleback church hosted a huge party for two of its campuses (expecting 20,000.) I thought that was nice, as a safety precaution and to turn it into a fun, wholesome time for all.

PS...I even scored some chocolate from the hair salon. I am a chocolate lover and there was nothing nefarious about it all.

Anyway, I do see the concerns about its origin, but I would feel sorry for the kids who are not allowed to participate these days because of it.

I guess, overall, that I see it as somewhat of a goodwill gesture to little children to give something that you have spent your hard-earned dollars on. It's sweet. Don't focus on the bad. Little kids did nothing along those lines. I say, have fun. Make it our day!

PK's BLOG said...

Yes, the origins of the Christmas tree are sketchily pagan as well but we don't seem to have much problem celebrating Christmas that way. So I agree.

Anonymous said...

Lol...I had dinner with my family today and it seemed that my Mom and Dad 'overbought' candy this year! Geeeee...that's too bad...NOT! Guess who came home with a bag of chocolate candy? :)

My Dad adores little kids. As we used to say, being from the South, they 'tickle' him. I think he enjoys giving candy out at Halloween almost as much as the kids getting it. Hence, he gave out a lot, but bought too much. He's diabetic, so my brother and I reaped the bounty. He is a wonderful Grandpa and loves to surprise and spoil the grandchildren.

It was a great day with the family and Halloween is over. Tomorrow starts Christmas! I work in retail.... Merry Christmas to all! :)

June Pysto said...

When I was a kid, the best small bags of Halloween candy also had tracts in them, which I read and kept. It was the first gospel witness I had.

Anonymous said...

We redeem Halloween by dressing up as Bible characters and going door to door saying "Truth and Treat" and handing out self-made postcards of our characters that give a brief history of the character, apologetics that provide evidence of the validity of the history connected to the character, and a blurb about why anyone should even care (the gospel message is always in this part).

My kids love it!! (And they still get candy!)