Wednesday, September 18, 2013

BAIT

The word for enticed in the Bible is actually a fishing term.  It's the idea of a hook.  And here's what the enemy of your soul does to you all day long.

He baits the hook with something he thinks you're going to be lured by and says:  'Come on -- take it -- touch it -- taste it -- go there -- do that -- watch this -- enjoy that.'  He does all he can to entice you away from God - to destroy you - to coax you into impurity - unethical actions - unwise decisions.

'Take it, take it, take it, take it.'  Because as soon as you snatch the bait, it's on.

And sometimes we're wise and we don't take the bait.  What does he do then?  Give up?  Not a chance.

He takes the bait off the hook and baits it with something else that will get your attention.  And he keeps on changing the bait until ultimately you reach out and ---- OUCH!

That's why James says: 'Don't be deceived, my beloved.'  Don't take the bait.

'Don't take the bait.'

Some of you are being sucked in by some things right now.  Even this week you're nibbling at the bait. Some of you are biting hard on it.  Your thoughts are out of control and your actions aren't far behind.

'Don't be deceived.'  That thing you're considering -- it isn't going to work out.  It never has.  In the history of this planet, you'd be the first one that sin has worked out for.  Don't choose that thing over a God who loves you.

I want my wife and my three daughters and my three sons-in-law and my grandson and my two granddaughters to know I'm a person of integrity.  I want my church to know it.  I want our staff of pastors and team players to know it.  I want my neighbors to know it.  I want to honor God in all the places people can see me honoring Him --- but I also want to honor Him in the areas nobody but God and I can see.

Would you join me in that challenge?

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am out of the confines of my home these days. My job puts me right in the middle of the public. Before I say anything else...I love my job. I am so happy to be there and working now. I am just having a hard time embracing each and every one of them. Most are incredibly easy, but then others are a challenge. I keep telling myself we are all children of God, but inside I am thinking less than Christ-like thoughts. I know the Bible says to think thoughts that are pure and lovely, but it can be difficult to master. I am feeling like a failure in that area.

I did something tonight that I haven't done in a long time. I gossiped about one of my supervisors. I just don't 'get' her and I suppose she doesn't get me either. It's as if something was welling up inside of me and I just 'had' to tell someone. I knew before AND after that I shouldn't, but I did it anyway.

So, Satan just dangled the bait under my nose and I did exactly what the Bible says not to do. I know I could just keep my sin to myself and not say this, but in the end, God knows and I know better. Maybe it sounds inconsequential, but this is something I know I will face daily.

Recently, in a sermon, you said that you give us permission not to like someone. We have to love them, but we don't have to like them. (not sure how to accomplish that) The two seem to be wrapped all around each other.

I'm definitely not in a Christian 'bubble'. And I have to find the grace that God has shown to me. Wish it was easy and I wish Satan would find better things to do. I was determined to shine God's light to everyone I met throughout the day. I suppose I should have known better, though. He isn't going away.

Outside of that...life is great! Cup half full... :)