Sunday, July 14, 2013

RECALCULATING

I broke down and got a GPS several years ago.  It was right before all the i- and smart-phones came out with navigation apps, putting the stand alone GPS out of business for all practical purposes.

But remember the first time you got yours and used it?  It was a novelty.  You put random places in it - like Ecuador - and then you followed the ladies voice where ever she said to go, just for fun.

You entered your home address and then went the wrong direction on purpose, just to see if you could fool the girl living inside the GPS.

You even gave your GPS a name, didn't you?  And it was a girl's name, wasn't it?  Don't lie.

Well, I did those things, even if you didn't.  Don't judge me.

But here's what was really great about the GPS -- whenever you made a wrong turn, it didn't get mad at you.  The voice never said, 'Dummy, why didn't you listen to me?  I told you to turn left and you turned right instead.  What's wrong with you?'  

Nope.  Instead it calmly said . . . . . . 'Recalculating.'

And that voice was so reassuring and kind it made you want to say back: 'I'm really sorry.  I apologize that I made a mistake and went the wrong way.  Will you please forgive me?'

You didn't want to let her down.  Because her entire mission in life was to get you where you needed to go and no matter how many times you made a wrong turn, she was this even-keeled voice of reassurance in your ear: 'Just trust me.  I'll get you there.  I have a satellite's viewpoint of where you're headed.  It might take a little longer than I planned now, but we'll make it together.  Stay connected to me.'

'We've all taken wrong turns in life.  All of us have.'

We've all taken wrong turns in life.  All of us have.  And maybe today could be one of those life moments where you hear the Holy Spirit lovingly saying to you:  'Recalculating.  It might take a little longer than I originally planned, but just trust Me.  I've got this.  Stay connected to Me and I'll get you there.'

Because as soon as we disconnect from God, life grows dark.  It's only as we stay plugged in to Him that we gain any light to see where we're headed.  You are your own worst navigator.  God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Word of God are your best navigators, but you have to stay plugged in to them.  You have to listen to them and follow them.

So if you've headed in wrong directions - or you're headed in one now - or you're planning to head in one -- know that there is a loving God who isn't here to just yell at you.  He's a God who loves you and He's a Master at recalculating lives and getting them back on course.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love this:

"You didn't want to let her down. Because her entire mission in life was to get you where you needed to go and no matter how many times you made a wrong turn, she was this even-keeled voice of reassurance in your ear: 'Just trust me. I'll get you there. I have a satellite's viewpoint of where you're headed. It might take a little longer than I planned now, but we'll make it together. Stay connected to me.'"

I can testify that God really does take our messes and head us in the right direction. It happened to me.

I had made a real disaster of my life. I was gripped by a stronghold and I showed no signs of letting up. I didn't seem to be able to...and, truth be told, I didn't want to. PK, as you said in your sermon (which was awesome, BTW), you said sometimes we don't want give up our bad habits because we say we enjoy them. That used to be me.

The thing is, God took my circumstances and up-ended them. I found myself out of a job and completely broke...not a nickel to my name. (Thank You, God for my family) It sounds bad, but I was in a position where I absolutely could not feed my addiction. I swear to you, it was the best thing that could have happened!

As a little time went on, I realized how GOOD I felt...healthy, happy, productive, motivated. I went back to JC, faithfully read my One Year Bible Plan every day, prayed and just thanked God for my new situation.

Fast forward about four months later and here I am on a terrific path! God saved me and literally came after me. :) I have so much life to live and I look forward to it. I really do want to live the life that GOD has for me....what could be better?